Author Topic: Modified collectors till 1974!!!!!  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Russ

Modified collectors till 1974!!!!!
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
It's about time is all I can say
Applications accepted after match 30

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017TRAN0064-000553

Offline kombikruiser

Re: Modified collectors till 1974!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
Finally!
'57 Type 1
'67 Type 1
'66 Type 2
'67 Type 3 Fastback

Offline kirin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »
Just reading the process. Have to go through a vehicle inspection as I read it?
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Russ

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
Just reading the process. Have to go through a vehicle inspection as I read it?

shouldn't be a big deal but well see i guess

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »
I took my 58 to Duane's German Autohaus to get my inspection for my Collector Modified Plates.
58 Beetle

Offline Russ

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
I was going to say I had to have it done on the 55 but I'm getting old and honestly couldn't remember lol

This is great news though,tons of people are going to benefit from it

Offline kirin

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:21 PM »
I took my 58 to Duane's German Autohaus to get my inspection for my Collector Modified Plates.
That makes me feel better. I've been happy with Duane before in the past.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Russ

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:32:19 AM »

Duanes if they did do them no longer do
So I'll post up when I bring mine in and where

Offline Thomas

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »
It was three years ago. He had a guy that came to his shop to do the inspection but if I do remember that guy was close to retiring at that time.I thought he might have got someone new to do them. It is mostly a safety check. Brakes, horn, turn signals, lights, wipers.......just make sure that is all taken care of. I used the Johnston Meier insurance office on 200th and 72 ave to do my paper work. They have a guy there that does collector insurance. They help me fill out the paper work and Igave them the pictures and they sent it in for me. They also do Hargerty insurance there.
58 Beetle

Offline Russ

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
just a little update on this.
if you have ever done the pre 58 mod collector plates it's the exact same process now.

fill out the paper work supply any receipts you have of the car,get a vehicle inspection and submit it at any autoplan agent.
once they go through your paper work your car gets an "altered" status and it is then passed off to the collector car dept.

this is where i'm at now, they won't be doing anything until after june 30th so, i'll probably drive the part of the summer on reg plates and hope to get the collector plates in july sometime

Offline Lanny

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 06:59:16 AM »
I recently submitted my application for my 67 Acadian, it's a bit more in depth than in the past. First, a BC motor vehicle inspection. Then I printed/submitted 29 pix, far more than the regular collector program. The application filled out,including  all receipts. They need a weigh scale receipt. Weird. Also, all of the work I did myself(no receipts) requires a notarized document that explains this.They said no plates are being issued until June 30 so get in line.

Offline Russ

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
I recently submitted my application for my 67 Acadian, it's a bit more in depth than in the past. First, a BC motor vehicle inspection. Then I printed/submitted 29 pix, far more than the regular collector program. The application filled out,including  all receipts. They need a weigh scale receipt. Weird. Also, all of the work I did myself(no receipts) requires a notarized document that explains this.They said no plates are being issued until June 30 so get in line.

you gave them 29 pictures but they only ask for 6, i submitted more as well.
i also had to go the notorized route since i'm just plain terrible about keeping receipts
i didn't do the weigh scale receipt, some how the way it was worded i didn't think they needed(i'd have to look at the paper work again)
but like Lanny said get in line as they won't start issuing plates until june 30th

i am just very happy that far more of us will benefit from it

Offline Lanny

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »

you gave them 29 pictures but they only ask for 6, i submitted more as well.
i also had to go the notorized route since i'm just plain terrible about keeping receipts
i didn't do the weigh scale receipt, some how the way it was worded i didn't think they needed(i'd have to look at the paper work again)
but like Lanny said get in line as they won't start issuing plates until june 30th

i am just very happy that far more of us will benefit from it
The new application requests far more pictures than the old one. I ended up with 29 partially because it's a station wagon.
The weigh scale request is definitely worded poorly, the ICBC rep said it was worded incorrectly but the receipt is required. Luckily it can be emailed in.

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 11:09:55 AM »
i went to the dump and weighted mine (with me out of the car obviously) - asked for a receipt and business card.  accurate to +/- 10kg.

ICBC was good with that.

Offline AirCooledRules

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
If im reading this right, it changes your cars Clean Title status to Altered ?

If thats the case, im not sure it should be a decision made lightly.

it seems like the process is very similar to when i apply for new VINs from ICBC for Custom Built Cars/ Motorcycles. Im doing a Custom Motorcycle application right now which will net my bike a Fresh Vin.

Im not saying you guys will be getting new VINs but saying bye bye to Clean and going to Altered Status. Thats something to think about.

People go ape shit over Rebuilt Status, Altered is no different. I hope im reading this wrong!!!
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6

Offline westcoast-paul

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 11:57:25 AM »
there are pretty clearly defined rules of what ICBC classifies as altered.  for example: engine / brake swap, etc

i definitely do not see 'altered' in the same light as 'salvaged'

i personally chose not to go this route as it was not ready when i needed it, but i did see the rules.

Offline AirCooledRules

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
You may not see Altered in the same way as Salvage or Rebuilt.

However, theres only 1 Clean, once its anything but Clean its not ever Clean again. wether its Altered, Rebuilt, Amalgamated, it can never be Clean again.

So if you ever go sell your car, especially out of province, to the states or otherwise, it will raise eyebrows, people will not like it.

I personally have no problem with status other then Clean but im just putting it out there incase people didnt think to pay attention to it and then its to late.
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1998 Audi A6

Offline Russ

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
my new papers do in fact say altered, i have no issue with it at all.
it's a name given to cars being altered for collector purposes, no other cars get the altered status as i'm aware. (if i'm wrong feel free to correct me)

Offline AirCooledRules

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:39 PM »
Any car can have an Altered Status, its not collector specific.

If it doesnt bother anyone then thats fine. I just dont see the reason to change a cars status for Modified collector plates.

I figure if you have a a clean title 1957 beetle for instance and you put in a bigger motor, lower it and throw on some wheels its all easily reversible to stock but i dont think the status would easily be reversed.

1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1998 Audi A6

Offline Thomas

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 02:05:11 AM »
I don't see how it would hurt the value of your car if you have altered status. If you pay attention to the market a lot of Modified cars go for bigger dollars then stock now. Some people like bone stock, some like modified. The point of this status is to allow people like myself to take advantage of the lower rates of Collector plates. I went from $1600 a year down to $400 a year with my 58 Beetle. Even if the status hurts the value the saving alone in the lower cost makes it worth while. So if you like to keep ICBCs pockets full of your money just keep your regular insurance where as I will use the savings to better my ride. Just my 2 cents worth.
58 Beetle

Offline Brent

• http://
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Any car can have an Altered Status, its not collector specific.

If it doesnt bother anyone then thats fine. I just dont see the reason to change a cars status for Modified collector plates.

I figure if you have a a clean title 1957 beetle for instance and you put in a bigger motor, lower it and throw on some wheels its all easily reversible to stock but i dont think the status would easily be reversed.

I totally agree and not sure what to do with my 63.  What happens if I ever want to put the car back to stock?  Can this be reversed?  I did this for my 56 Belair years ago and never saw the need to change it to  "chevrolet Modified"?  Love the cheap rates though.

Offline Russ

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »
got the call my plates came in last night i'll transfer insurance to it today after work and then i'm all set

Offline sbrown

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »
I have made it as far as the Altered stage, waiting for my call.....and plates.

Offline Russ

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
awesome news
besides the plates look way cooler:)