Author Topic: Jim Martin  (Read 81345 times)

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Re: Jim Martin
« Reply #300 on: August 10, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »
well the test and tune on the 9th was great .first time i think i did not have to mop up oil .on Saturday 3rd  evenning drags i was pushing oil out my dipstick but logged some very good info that i was able to use for the next outing .as well installed another sensor to measure crancase vac/pressure -- at present im lgging .lambda,rpm,crancase , boost .. with these 4 items you can get a very good handle on where your at .last outing i was at a lambda that was so rich i was filling half my oil catch can with raw fuel .the nozzles are capable of supporting 30-40 lbs boost and since im not anywhere near that i moved down to a smaller nozzle that will support around 20 to max 25 lbs .started each run as a mild pass just cruising and logging data , ran 3 next pills and each moved me toward my ideal lambda .now it was time to warm the tires and see what it will do .first run was probably the most ideal conditions , very little wheel spin ,launched straight and pulled very well 10.630@128 and felt smooth as could be .now back at the trailer the good news was there was no raw fuel in the oil tank when drained . oil blow bye is reduced as well and engine stayed in vacumm the whole pass even under boost so the rings can now do there job of sealing the motor.at launch im dragging the sump so suspension work is now top of the list .
had a absolute great day and of course had the best support  .my daughter Ashley and friend Silas .thanks guys could not do it without youbetween silas and ashley there is some phots im sure and will get something up soon
see you at the great canadian on the 23rd .i will be there for the test and tune and work on getting a vw area organised as well

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  10.230 sec at 138.01 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2013, 11:30:28 PM »
it was a really fun day at the track. always happy to be a part of it...good times!!

also great to see the dilleys & pat the pit boss, the constants & terry hoogstins out there too!!

here are a few pics and a vid of a burnout (no, it's not a vid of me ;D) and a hard launch...then my camera packed it in...

*click on the pic below to see the vid...

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
« Reply #302 on: July 13, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
cant think of a better way to break in a new motor than load the WOK up and head to mission
terrific day for a test and tune and bolted the muffler on and stayed for a pull for thr friday street legals
Boozer3 with all upgrades seams to be happy at this point now time to fine tune a few things

WOK testing at mission july 10th

Dialedinp

Offline josh

« Reply #303 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »
Awesome JIM !!!! I was just wondering how the wok was the other day!!! Can't wait to see some passes in August!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #304 on: July 14, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »
beauty! nice pass jim and great work for a first day back at the track. lots more where that came from i bet!  :cool:

Offline jim martin

« Reply #305 on: July 16, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »
Awesome JIM !!!! I was just wondering how the wok was the other day!!! Can't wait to see some passes in August!

Looking fwd to seeing everyone out there, josh are you going to make a few passes as well ?

I won't be touching my car for a bit ,knee surgery on Monday,best I get that clutch leg healed up quick

Dialedinp

Offline josh

« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »
With any luck?!?!? Need some shake down time before harping on it

Heal fast on the clutch leg! ACL?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:30:45 PM by josh »
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Darren

« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »
Probably more like old worn out Ski Bum knees!

Offline jim martin

« Reply #308 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
                                             the  "WOK"  is back 2019
QUEST FOR THE 9'S

Well its been a few years ,maybe a few to many since my last posts .
Figuring it’s time to have some fun , get some data ,picts and information up and fill in the blanks from the past as we roll into 2019.
 The”WOK” has gone through so many modifications ,ups and downs, disasters and triumph’s it would be impossible to go back and talk about them all .
but will touch on those when possible as the “WOK” comes together In pursuit of that magic single digit time slip  , 9’s.
 - at present the engine is out and the list of changes are finalized and taking shape . Collecting the last few pieces and then the assembly and fun starts .
Topics coming up are:
 engine , oiling issues ,suspension ,DIY alignment/suspension tools ,turbo upgrades, gearing,MFI upgrades and tuning , multy disc clutches ,ignition upgrades ,
pro wiring techniques , data logging tips and tricks , and many more.

Also in the works is some very unique pieces coming out of the “WOK” Garage .

-- A new performance shifter with the adjustability to change shifter reduction ratios from 25 ,40 and 60 % ,allowing the owner to experiment
and decide what works best for them without the need to purchase another shifter unit.

- integrated electronics into the shifter base for gear reference and data logging .

And the most exciting
- Dialed in Performance (D.I.P) fully electronic CLUTCH MANAGEMENT control system. Works with fully hydraulic or Co2 based stock cable systems.
 Allowing for complete clutch control in all gears while strapped into your car ,
with 3 versions of electronics available which can be tailored to your race class or driving preference . Standard , push-button launch , electronic timer launch control.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 07:01:44 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »
New hotVW's arrived yesterday ,great GCVW write up and lots of great pictures,
way to go to Everyone that works so hard putting the show together every year!!!!

WOK's out having some fun

and who say Silas doesn't enjoy racing ,i know for a fact he does .
he may be the only air-cooled VW that beat the WOK .still upset about that :(

before i pulled the Boozer out i did do a quick leakage and compression test .
all cylinders less than 5% leakage and 130 psi 3 cranks , and that's with a cold motor .not bad .
im not a huge fan of the ring pack that’s in there but im not pulling heads for a re ring as it always leads
to more money being spent and sometimes i just dont want to know what my cylinder walls look like ,
not even going to look with the bore scope .

like i said the Boozers out and on the stand .why ?
not just for fun but for many upgrades and adjustments that can not be done in car.

- heli coiling all the exhaust threads in the heads ,
yep threads were done and having poor exhaust flange sealing was not helping me.

drill it -but hey make sure your square ,doesnt need to be rocket science

tap it - and yes use cutting fluid it will make the threads crisp and will not allow the aluminum to gall up

clean those cut threads with some brake kleen and blow dry , a dab of red loctite will help as well

heli-coil will wind in nice plus 1 turn more when last thread just disappears

snap the tang off and give it a wipe with a bit of rolled up paper towel and good to go .
you'll see why this needed doing soon .
done and finnished.

the MAIN reason the Boozer came out !
not sure if anyone has seen this but this is what the REV6 clutch looks like .
i started playing with this last year and yes its getting there .but need adjusting
more to come

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 10:39:23 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline kinggeorge13

• Whaddya mean I can't buy more buses?
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
Great photos and sure looks nice and clean.   I've never yet used heli-coils but I'm sure one day I will and hope I can do as awesome as yours look!  I worry my first ones will be possibly for some spark plug hole threads one day.   Thanks for sharing! 
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos
1974 Westy, Garfield
1973 Tin top camper, Bart (now thinking he's 1976)
1974 gutted Riviera, Casper
1975 Westy, Stella
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet

Offline jim martin

« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:44 PM »
tested those freshly heli-coiled threads and remounted the exhaust system and proceeded with the next stage .
from the side you can see the turbo i've been running is a old school on center exhaust housing unit.
nothing wrong with it ,and does offer some options when mounting space becomes a issue ,but by design can limit exhaust flow
during higher rpm and possibly engine output which directly limits horsepower potential .
im always asked what kind of turbo this is and what size , so if your in the turbo know here's the scoop.
the turbo is a combination Air research and Garrett - T4 flange ,P exhaust wheel with a .96 a/r exhaust housing - cold side a/r .60 with a new 57 billet wheel .

time to mount the down pipe and wastegate ,need those on there for mock up

gota keep the downpipe exit in the same spot right? yah but if nothings changed who cares?
sometimes things gotta go

time to eliminate the potential on center restriction and unleash any free power i can .
new .96 tangential exhaust housing ,so now you can see why the mock up was so important
its all gotta work and yes it will fit in the car still ,moves fwd almost 3" and lower by 3/4".
Mike Merrel at Turbos Direct is the man and if you need help , please call him at 623 376 2562
http://www.turbosdirect.com/
so my old turbo which is the same turbo needed help and no one out here could help.
One call to Mike and it was done .this gave me a chance to discuss my turbo and what it all means .
he fixed the thrust and endplay that was over .011" and oil leakage issue ,installed the new billet inlet wheel and supplied the
exhaust housing .
numbers go like this , as per Mike with the turbo in its original form would run out of compressor side before exhaust ,
(made no sense to me but what do i know),
so after endplay and thrust were repaired, he replacing the inlet wheel with a new billet wheel , that alone will allow for a
 25h.p potential and swapping out the exhaust housing another 25 h.p
so before the turbo was maybe good for 400-425 ish now it'll push 475 plus ish and do it  very efficiently , which is the most important
.it will make the same out-put 3 psi lower than before and never hit a wall till the inlet cannot move any more air .
sounds good to me so lets weld up a new pipe next .off come some DEI titanium wrap and trim the top
of the old downtube off to make room for the new pipe conversion

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 06:23:04 AM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #312 on: March 15, 2019, 10:17:22 PM »
I didn’t know you got in a calendar, wurth to!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline jim martin

« Reply #313 on: April 07, 2019, 09:25:21 PM »
Finally got around to getting the exhaust mocked and  say 99% finished up.
   -used a bunch of bits old and new I had laying around and got it to finally fit .
Started by Machining a recess into a flat sided v-band to index and fit the turbo cast in v-band ,
Seems like it would be a snap to make fit ,but when your trying to scab a section into a previous made
Section its not always easy, especially with some compound curves to deal with .
First section welded up and kept the v-band firmly clamped to prevent warping during welding.

Back on for yet another mock up

Mocked and welded

New billet wheel ,nice shiny

Numbers on the outside of turbo housings cold or hot side generally mean squat
Im told always marked on the inside .this housing is a .60 cold side

Time to pull the old on centre exhaust housing off, that’s a “P” wheel exhaust impeller

Here’s a good shot of both housings ,you can see the on centre is taller ,so with the
New housing im dropping down a inch and back about 3”

To prevent the cast centre section from rusting as well as the cast exhaust housing
Hit them with some high heat header paint ,in this case clear

Wrap temp reinstalled and new exhaust downpipe fits great ,now I said 99% finished
I still need to weld the o2 bung on and strap the header wrap down after .
So Ill take the pipe off and over to the car for a hand fit and double check o2 location .

Spun around now time for a new intake ,all pieces cut .and working on mock up
Problem with turbo being lower it also has moved tighter to the 3@4 side of the motor
A little more testing and tig time very soon then shes going back in .

Dialedinp