Author Topic: Alternator Conversion Wiring  (Read 782 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ovalvert

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 52
  • Karma: 1
Alternator Conversion Wiring
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:28:13 AM »
I have an alternator with a three prong electrical connection and one B+ terminal.  I assume I need a voltage regulator with this type of alternator.  Any ideas on which v.r i can use and how do i connect these four terminals when i'm using stock wiring in my 59 ( I have only one large diameter wire that went to the old generator mounted regulator plus one small wire that goes from the other side of the v.r. to the dash generator light.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline James Buchan

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 6403
  • Country: ca
  • Karma: -51
Alternator Conversion Wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 06:27:56 AM »
I would suggest buying an internally regulated Alt - (has one post and one spade terminal)

Click here for instructions and prices:


Alternator Conversion Wiring
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:55:52 AM »
top right of this page is a section called \"technical\". you'll find before and after diagrams of an alternator conversion there.

Offline jason_hamilton

  • Admin
  • Posts: 585
  • Country: ca
  • Karma: 1
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Alternator Conversion Wiring
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 09:19:24 AM »
The alternator you have does require an external voltage regulator.
The B+ terminal connects to the fuse panel, and the D-, DF and D+ wires connect to the voltage regulator.
If you want to use the older style mechanical voltage regulator, you would wire it as shown in the 1973 beetle wiring diagram.
If you want to use a newer style solid-state regulator, you would wire it as shown in the 1974 beetle wiring diagram.
(Check for the diagrams)
If you want to opt for a new alternator with integral voltage regulator, wire it as shown on our tech page.
Charge indicator light wiring varies depending on they type of voltage regulator used. See the diagrams for details.

Mechanical voltage regulators start at about $34.95 and solid-state ones are about $97.95. A new 51 amp alternator with integral regulator is $219.95 for the complete kit. Give us a call; we can get you anything you need.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 09:27:41 AM by jason_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton


Powered by EzPortal