Author Topic: Front brakes locked up  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Front brakes locked up
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
Just got done replacing power break booster a 1973 Westy when I purchased her the brake booster was in full failure. With new brake booster installed I have power brakes but the more I drive it the more the front brakes are dragging and nearly locking up.  I have the recommended free play in the pedal and when I loosened the master cylinder from the power break booster  just slightly it relieves the pressure and  unlocks the brakes are power break booster is adjustable do I have a bad one never had an issue with any locking brakes prior to replacing power break booster I would appreciate any advice but I'm nearly at wits end

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Front brakes locked up
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
Have a close look at the end of the rod inside the booster that pushes the master, it may have a spacer washer under the tip.

If it's already gone you'll either have to shorten the rod, or fabricate a steel shim to move the master away from the booster, that one's tricky since the master has to seal against the booster to maintain vacuum.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Anovib

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Front brakes locked up
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »
Thank you that helped.  I was able to remove the shimm   That shortened the travel enough to fix the issue.  Back on the road yeah