Author Topic: 73 Karmann Ghia questions  (Read 2025 times)

Offline kirin

73 Karmann Ghia questions
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm working on a Karmann Ghia right now and got a few questions.
Whats the "trick" to getting the seats off their tracks?

Also I have the front hood partially popped but I can't open it. The cable is MIA from the glove box, I destroyed what was left of the box trying to find a cable and there is nothing. Any ideas how else to open it up?
Cheers,
Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Re: 73 Karmann Ghia questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:47:18 AM »
The seat tracks have a lot of surface area in contact so any corrosion can make this a pain in the ass. There is a 4-5 inch retaining spring that connects the seat frame to the floor, so you'll want to make sure that's removed. It should slide forward all the way off the tracks but you may need to get in the back and push the seat base with your feet if it's sticking. Also note that the inboard seat rail extends further forward than the outboard one, so it's impotant that the seat travel remains square as you get to the front or you risk torquing the seat rail.

The front hood can be opened by displacing the rubber horn "bladder", laying on your back and reaching up with a skinny arm and actuating the release by hand.
Jason Hamilton

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
If the front hood is partly popped, doesn't that just mean you push the little lever at the latch under the very front of the hood?

Offline kirin

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
Well its not event popped enough for that. Its like its still 3/4 latched. I can barely get a screw driver let alone my finger in there.. I think the seats are just still really corroded to hell on this thing. its an 80's onterrible resto. With bondo, optional back seat area, and unibody lol.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?