Author Topic: Who's Good With Alarms?  (Read 3265 times)

Matt

Who's Good With Alarms?
« on: April 15, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »
I think the alarm that was installed by the p.o. on our truck is WAY to sensitive. the rain today in downtown Langly was enough to set it off. I haven't had a chance to pull out the siren and see brand it is, but is there usually a way to knock the sensitivity down???

Matt

Offline 67kafer

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 06:39:26 PM »
If you look under your drivers side dash you might be able to locate the shock sensor(tiny black box).Most likely tie wrapped to the steering coloum or to a wire harness.If you find it there will be a dial on it to adjust the sensetivity.If you told me what model it is I could tell you excactly how to do it and what the sensor looks like.Good luck

Evan

Matt

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 06:59:56 PM »
Sweet! thanks Evan, my wife has it now at school so I will look tommorow.

Offline kirin

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 07:37:03 PM »
Eric from Kaferkraft has done a ton of wiring and knows alarms..
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 10:20:26 PM »
67kafer is right on the money.  Don't rely on the label on the siren to tell you what brand it is.  Some people don't use original siren ( don't like the sound or not loud enough.....).  Don't you have a remote control for it?  The brand should be on the remote.  Like 67kafer said.... under the drivers steering collumn.  If you don't find the shock sensor you will likely find the brain or at least some of the wiring you can follow.  The adjustment will be on the shock sensor.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline Chris

• Car.
Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 10:36:22 PM »
is the siren just a siren or is it a box with a siren in it? Some crap alarms are all in one boxes and have a sensitivity setting on there somewhere, some just get water inside and act up as well.

Matt

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 11:02:34 PM »
I think it's a cheap-o aftermarket jobby. The siren is tucked inside the left fender, real pain in the ass to get out. The remote/key fob doesn't have any markings on it.  I crawled under the dash and tried to follow the wires that entered from the firewall, I found a small black box cable tied to the sterring column just as described but there is no adjustment for sensitivity on it, just a row of switches? I will keep diggin through the under dash wiring when I get a few extra minutes.

any other ideas??

Matt
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 11:04:18 PM by Matt »

Offline Chris

• Car.
Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 07:30:22 AM »
there is no hole on the little black box? I would be just a hole with a adjustment inside. Otherwise you need to find the brain, many cases it will be located behind a kick panel or glove box. I could take a look if you want to look at my van and its need for bodywork.

Also is there an FCC ID on the remote? Its a good way to track down the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 07:31:05 AM by 1976BUS »

Offline eric

• http://www.kaferkraft.ca
Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »
there should be a little box something like this (the thing on the right)
it may be black, it may be clear, but something like that
and you see the hole in the top left, thats the sensitivity adjuster, just turn it counter-clockwise to turn it down
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 01:53:08 PM by eric »

Stephan Schmidt

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 11:06:10 PM »
hey matt, my friend would beable to help you out.  he redid the alarm / stereo in my golf for VERY cheap and he is a great guy to talk to.  he might beable to help you out over the phone.

his name is Moe Esmail.

anyways, let me know if you'd like his number.

he runs his business out of his home right now, and does excellent work.

Stephan

Matt

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 06:50:53 PM »
hey matt, my friend would beable to help you out.  he redid the alarm / stereo in my golf for VERY cheap and he is a great guy to talk to.  he might beable to help you out over the phone.

his name is Moe Esmail.

Stephan
I don't wanna use your friend, or any other \"contacts\" you may have. go away.

Thanks for all the other tips guys, when I get a chance next I'll have another look at that box.

Stephan Schmidt

Who's Good With Alarms?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 11:16:25 PM »
hey matt, my friend would beable to help you out.  he redid the alarm / stereo in my golf for VERY cheap and he is a great guy to talk to.  he might beable to help you out over the phone.

his name is Moe Esmail.

Stephan
I don't wanna use your friend, or any other "contacts" you may have. go away.

Thanks for all the other tips guys, when I get a chance next I'll have another look at that box.
no worries

Stephan