Author Topic: Tires for my Fuchs = WTF !  (Read 5154 times)

Offline panel

Tires for my Fuchs = WTF !
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm just getting a couple of really good used tires put on my 15" x 6" Fuchs and my tire shop says that they can't do it cause it is a inner tube type rim. They actually can't believe it held air in there before etc. The valve stem they use just goes right through the hole.

They asked me if I had some special buddy who put these tires on for me
I don't have the # from the inside right now as they are still down there at the tire shop.

Help!

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
Re: Tires for my Fuchs = WTF !
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
i have fuchs and they don't take inner tubes,.. i don't ever remember any of them having inner tubes... i would go to another shop !

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline panel

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
I should have posted this in the wheel tire forum............Actually I don't think I even posted this thread in here anyway ?

Any way.................here is a couple of answers from the Porsche guys........

IIRC the early 6" fuchs will require a different stem for a tubeless setup since the rim was originally designed a tube (large hole for tube stem).

EDIT

From TheSamba
Quote:
YES, the 195/50 tyres are finally mounted on the Fuchs wheels. I had to go to 5 different tires shops before I found one that was not full of B@#S§&t and was willing to do it.

I asked for the TR 415 stem and with this he mounted everything.

Thanks for all the help!! I have some pics so I will post some in the comming days!

And this one:

Be REAL careful when driving with tubeless tires on tube type wheels! Years ago, I had the same wheels as yours on my '68 911L. While negotiating a cloverleaf at a speed faster than I should have, the front tire slammed the curb and the tubeless tire immediatly TOTALLY DEFLATED! Luckily, I got the car to a stop without a crash. I had no damage to the tire other than knocking the air out of it! The tire shop explained that all tubeless wheels have a safety bump or bead/ridge on the wheel to prevent the the sidewall impact problem I experienced. I think the J in wheel size (i.e.15x6J) indicates tubeless wheel, and any wheel without the J should be used with tubes or at your peril, tubeless! . Anyway, BE CAREFUL!!!

EDIT: In this "sue happy" litigious society we now live in, if I owned a tire shop, I would no longer mount tubeless tires onto tube type rims given the liability exposure! Think about it! Perhaps the shop who refused you was just protecting themselves and didn't stock the appropriate valve stems on purpose!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:17:47 PM by panel »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:09:01 PM »
The tire shop explained that all tubeless wheels have a safety bump or bead/ridge on the wheel to prevent the the sidewall impact problem I experienced.
This is not true.

VW went to tubeless tires in 1957, but their wheels didn't get the safety bead humps until a full TEN years later.  Check any 60s wide 5 wheel, no humps.

The bead humps help keep the bead on the rim, just like you would assume.  But they won't keep it on the rim when you crash into a curb like the guy in the 911L did.  His problem wasn't that his wheels had no bead humps, it's because he crashed his car!  I bet he's still blaming his wheels for his crash.

.....the J in wheel size (i.e.15x6J) indicates tubeless wheel, and any wheel without the J should be used with tubes.... 
Again, not true. 

Early deep 6 Fuchs (Tube type, without the bead humps) have their wheel size listed with a J.  Same as late Fuchs (tubeless, with humps).

It's understandable that the P guys would assume bead humps = tubeless, since Porsche didn't adopt the safety bead humps until 1971, at the same time they went to tubeless.  Both features require a design change, so they incorporated them at the same time.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:59:29 PM »
All true what Bruce said.
I've had many early wheels mounted with tubeless tires. As long as you know what stem to use any tire shop can do it......although it's good to find a good tire guy and stay with him. I always use Tom the Tire Guy in Surrey. Great prices and always willing to help. I know it's to far for some but if you need quality work done I highly recomend Tom.