Author Topic: Non VW - pick ups  (Read 1086 times)

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Non VW - pick ups
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
I drive a 2013 Silverado 2500HD. It's for work. I want one for home. Only a 1500. I like the towing capacity but only need maybe 9-10K. I want a smoother ride and better fuel economy. I have the 6 litre and it guzzles gas like no getout. Looking at the Sierra or Silverado as well as the Ram 1500. The Ram has a 5.7 litre but has the 4/8 cylinder option. It also comes in a 6 cylinder diesel that is made by Fiat and I know nothing about it. I would like a diesel. I have a Sierra 3500 at work also that has the Duramax and Allison option and it is the best. Almost no problems in 450K kms except when I sucked in some water or contaminated fuel.
The Ram is less expensive (score one). It is supposed to be more comfortable (score two). Less towing capacity (score minus one). Higher to step into (score minus two). I am getting to the age where that counts. Fuel economy? Don't know.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Especially from someone that has owned both recently as the old ones don't count. Trucks that is!   ;D

9 years and counting....

Offline Alp

• I’m not your type. I’m not inflatable.
Re: Non VW - pick ups
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:53:06 AM »
  I have a second generation Dodge diesel and it is great.  Mine is a one ton dually but it is as good on gas as a car.  The 12 valve engine is good for a million miles if looked after.  They made that motor truck combo from 94-98.  I got mine for cheap $6500 with 300km.  You will see them regularly up past $20 000.

Offline AirCooledRules

Re: Non VW - pick ups
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »
The truck market is so competitive that it really comes down to preference. Wether you buy GM, Ford or Ram you can't really go wrong.

If I was looking and was undecided I would go and see which one I could pick up for the best price
1960 Volkswagen Beetle

1975 Honda CB125S
1983 Audi UR-Quattro
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1998 Audi A6