Author Topic: "psssssss"  (Read 1563 times)

Offline mike

"psssssss"
« on: June 23, 2006, 10:34:41 AM »
I just got me fresh 2110 running a few weeks ago and at the second valve adjustment I notice that while approaching tdc on #2 there was very little resistance compared to the other cylinders. I didn
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 10:34:52 AM by mike »

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
"psssssss"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 11:45:38 AM »
First off i'd pull the head and look to see whats causing it. Did you use the copper head gaskets? If so I have seen those get pinched and leak. Before you resurface the head take the cylinder and some valve grinding compound, lap the barrel to the head and see if you can see any low area. Most times this is all it needs but if the head is warped then it's time to resurface.

Check the barrel seating area to the head for imperfections as well as the barrel to block mounting area. The Cima barrels tend to catch on the edge of the large case nuts on the #2 cyl allowing the barrel not to seat, if this is the case just rotate the nut or grind the edge off of it. As well I have seen some cyl head studs bottom out before the head was tight.

Just a few ideas.
G.

Offline Bubba

"psssssss"
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 11:51:16 AM »
Before you resurface the head take the cylinder and some valve grinding compound, lap the barrel to the head and see if you can see any low area. Most times this is all it needs but if the head is warped then it's time to resurface.

If you are a cheap bastard like me, just mix up a bit of water with some ajax powdered cleanser into a nice thick paste and use that to lap the barrel tops to the heads.  Make sure you clean up all the residue really well afterwards.

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline mike

"psssssss"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 09:43:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give 'er a go today to see what I find. I didn

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
"psssssss"
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »
make sure that the head fin doesn't bottom out on the step of the barrel by its top fin, stopping the head to fully seat on the barrel.  

Offline mike

"psssssss"
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
So a little update;

I