Author Topic: sidedrafts on a type 4  (Read 1475 times)

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
sidedrafts on a type 4
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
I have a set of Weber 40's lying around that I'd like to do something with, and the fuel injection system on my '77 bus is giving me troubles. has anyone ever seen any manifolds meant to adapt side draft carbs to a type IV engine?
I'm thinking they would mount above the heads, with both sets of intake venturis aimed towards each other, and long-ish intake runners that curved down towards the intake valves in the head.
good idea? stupid? anybody make a set of manifolds already?
maybe the carbs should be attached to a split intake plenum so that they're not fighting eachother for air at high RPM. thoughts?
Original SBC Member #16

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: sidedrafts on a type 4
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
Sounds complicated, I'm all for well engineered mod/improvement but if it's just because the FI is giving you a little grief it's kind of like burning down your house because you saw a spider in it. L-jet is easy to diagnose/fix and works as well or better than most carbs and requires no jet experimentation or readjustment for the seasons. Post your issues here or PM me and I'll walk you through the process.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline ArsenicPants

• http://
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »
thanks, but I'm sure I can fix my fuel injection, that's not really my concern. I'm a fan of modern computer controlled electronic fuel injection as much as the next guy.
I just like to make stuff, and I like the idea of sidedrafts for no reason.
you haven't seen any examples of them?
Original SBC Member #16

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Not the sidedrafts, the issue with them would be similar to the single progressive installation and the long intake runners causing the fuel/air mix to condense out of a vapor before it reaches a port, I guess a heavy cast aluminum manifold that conducted the heat would help but that's even more complicated. Carbs work best with short hot manifolds.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS