Author Topic: 1979 Bus windshield glass  (Read 1609 times)

Offline pittwagen

1979 Bus windshield glass
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Just picked up a 79 Bus.  Among other items it will need a new windshield and seal.  I did a search on this site and the Samba.  Looks like there are plenty of horror stories with poor fitting glass and/or seals.  The windshield frame area is in good shape and there is no indication of an accident.  Glass has some cracks and the seal is shot from basking in the warm California sun.  Actually all the window seals need replacing.  I can handle the flat glass myself.

I would appreciate any recommendations with respect to:

- an installer that has actually worked on a bay window - preferably in the Ridge/Meadows or Langley area
- a brand of glass - if there is a choice
- a brand of seal - think I will go with the non grooved version

Thanks for the help.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: 1979 Bus windshield glass
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »
I haven't had any issues with glass or seals but the Wolfsburg west seals are the best I have used. Cip has the seals, windsheilds try your local glass shop. I bought my last winsheild at the classic last year for $80 with the green tint at the top

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »
Thanks for the note.  Are you saying that CIP has the Wolfsburg West seals?  CIP told me they had some good quality German seals.  Finding a glass installer that has actually done a T2 windshield will be fun.  I found 1 local guy who claimed to have done one and that's it.  I have also been told that some of the glass does not fit as well as say the old PPG glass made in the US but then the glass guys like to blame the seals and the seal suppliers the glass guys.

Good news in that the windshield does not leak, just looks like shit.  Bus is otherwise pretty clean.  Here's a pic:

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
I think in next month's Volks world camper they are doing a feature on bay window windshield install
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)