Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Mike Scott

Bleeding
« on: March 23, 2005, 10:32:42 AM »
I actually hit myself in the forhead last night with a wrench and I was bleeding, but thats not the question.

I have bled brakes before, but never with the entire systems dry. Are there any tricks to get the fluid all the way to the back. I gave it a brief try last night, nothing coming out back their. All the lines are new

Offline James Buchan

Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:11:10 AM »
it takes forever!

Open the bleeder farthest from the master cylinder (passenger rear) and take the cap off of your resevoir and start pumping!!! You need to have someone watching the resevoir so it doesnt go dry - they can float back and forth between that and your bleeder.

Offline Mike Scott

Bleeding
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 12:42:58 PM »
Thanks James,

I'll try again tonight!

Offline HeliMike

Bleeding
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 02:47:30 PM »

or you could do it my dumb-assed way which takes NO time at all!
open the bleeder, open the cap on the reservoir, place a rag FIRMLY over the reservoir hole and stab a blow-gun into it and pressurize that bitch with some compressed air. :wacko:
Once she starts pissin' all over your floor you can go tighten it and bleed it properly afterwards!
it works in reverse of one of those \"speedi-bleed\" kits.
just be careful you don't blow brake fluid all over you,your paint and your garage!

Safety goggles HIGHLY recommended for this procedure.
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline Chris

• Car.
Bleeding
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »
they do make a vacuum pump bleeder for this situation.

Offline Mike Scott

Bleeding
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 07:46:33 AM »
Got them done last night, ended up being a bad master cylinder. Once I replaced that, it was a piece a cake.

My car now has 1 working pedal. I could feasibly roll down hill and stop. Now, on to the motor..

Thanks for your help
Mike

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Bleeding
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 05:30:01 PM »
Well done Mike.  You're doing it the right way..... Make sure you can STOP before you get it to go!!! :P  
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window