Author Topic: Head Temp Questions...  (Read 5685 times)

Stephan Schmidt

Head Temp Questions...
« on: June 29, 2003, 08:59:28 AM »
head temp is very important to aircoled vw's.  I was wondering what a good temp range is, and what would be too hot for the heads?  

thanks stephan

Offline dannyboy

Head Temp Questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 12:07:09 PM »
hey stephan, i thought you sold all your aircooled cars......
whats the latest project?
-dan

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Head Temp Questions...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 01:41:06 PM »
i've heard that cylinder head temp should be kept under 300 F to ensure a long life. how far under 300 i do not know. my educated guess would be that the lower the better, around 250-ish or so? anyone? bueller?
cheers. silas.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Head Temp Questions...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2003, 07:34:06 PM »
Head Temp is in direct relation to compresion, RPM (final drive ratio) and the CFM of air passing over the cylinderheads. Some motors will have a much higher head temp depending on their state of tume and type of Cylinder head. The stock VW a/c heads have 8 fins as compared to SE (Street Eliminator) heads that only have six.
That being said, it is very hard to compare one motor to another unless they are the same displacement and have the same final drive.  Many of my cars have had temps that vary from 200-400' and under load can reach higher.
One thing to look for if you have a guage (or even if you do not, check it anyway) if your temp climbs high and never comes back down until the car is turned off for a while is the firewall.
So many people have replaced them with cheap ones or not installed them correctly. Once the car warms up the firewall tar board becomes flexable and can suck against the fan opening restricting the intake. Bad bad things will happen if this occours.
 :unsure:

The worst of the firewalls to do this is the West Coast Metric fioam style, If you have that style REMOVE IT!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Head Temp Questions...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 11:22:33 PM »
apart from the noise factor, what are the +/- to not having any tar board on the firewall in the engine compartment? i like the look of a engine compartment painted to match the cars colour. and should this be special paint due to the heat put off by the motor?

Stephan Schmidt

Head Temp Questions...
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2003, 11:58:40 PM »
hey stephan, i thought you sold all your aircooled cars......
whats the latest project?
-dan
I've sold my 1981 scirocco, 1986 golf and 1958 ragtop.  I am picking up a 1984 rabbit GTI that I will mod for a daily driver.  in sept I'm going to germany where I will be studying for 6-7 months.  when I come back I will start school and SAVING for a bike or beetle.

how is your rag coming along?  I'm heading out camping this week, but I'll come buy sometime to check what you are up to.  

later, stephan

Stephan Schmidt

Head Temp Questions...
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 12:02:18 AM »
Head Temp is in direct relation to compresion, RPM (final drive ratio) and the CFM of air passing over the cylinderheads. Some motors will have a much higher head temp depending on their state of tume and type of Cylinder head. The stock VW a/c heads have 8 fins as compared to SE (Street Eliminator) heads that only have six.
That being said, it is very hard to compare one motor to another unless they are the same displacement and have the same final drive.  Many of my cars have had temps that vary from 200-400' and under load can reach higher.
One thing to look for if you have a guage (or even if you do not, check it anyway) if your temp climbs high and never comes back down until the car is turned off for a while is the firewall.
So many people have replaced them with cheap ones or not installed them correctly. Once the car warms up the firewall tar board becomes flexable and can suck against the fan opening restricting the intake. Bad bad things will happen if this occours.
 :unsure:

The worst of the firewalls to do this is the West Coast Metric fioam style, If you have that style REMOVE IT!
ahh, icic.  I was wondering about this because my 66 had the guage hooked up, and it read around 300 or a little more when I was running it hard.  

good to know

thanks geoff  :rockon: