Author Topic: Ghia Bodywork  (Read 2762 times)

Offline JSimmons

• http://
Ghia Bodywork
« on: September 04, 2003, 05:11:42 AM »
Aloha,

Are Karmann Ghias a nightmare when it comes to having bodywork done?  I'm considering a Ghia for my next VW, but I'm hesitant to buy one that is already cherried-out as I'm sure I'll want to do something different to the car or have it painted a different color.  I know everyone says, \"buy the nicest car you can, because its cheaper in the long-run than restoring one on your own,\" but I'd hate to undo some of the hardwork someone else put in on an already nice car.  Actually, I'm mostly a Resto-custom guy, so I wouldn't do anything that would be irreversible to the car.  I like sleepers.

Secondly, since Ghias are all hand-made is it a real PITA for a body shop to get the panels straight and produce a quality job?  I'm just wondering since I've heard things about Ghia rear fenders giving only small amounts of wheel clearance on one side, and then tons of clearance on the other side.  Which makes me suspect that trying to get things symmetrical would drive someone nuts.

Should I just look for the nicest car possible and repaint per my desire?  

mahalos,
Joel
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 05:14:41 AM by JSimmons »
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 10:02:27 PM »
Joel,
I've only ever had to have collision damage repaired, so perhaps I'm not the most qualified to answer, but here goes.

I wouldn't say they're a \"a nightmare when it comes to having bodywork done\", but what I've run into is most body shops, especially franchised ones, simply aren't interested. Especially when it comes to dealing with rust, etc. on a 30+ year old car. They want nice easy Hondas to work on, because they couldn't be bothered doing anything that requires real craftsmanship.

For your second question, it's not a difficult to get the panels straight as long as they have people who know what they're doing. When it comes to making a car symetrical, like the wheel well spaces you describe, they just chain up the body to a hydraulic puller and keep going 'till it's proper. What Ghia owners often run into, however, is the \"close enough\" attitude many shops have. I do believe, however, that every city has at least one or two shops that are qualified to return any vintage car panel to perfection through proper hammer and dolly and metal-shrinking techniques. You just have to persevere in finding these shops, and be willing to pay what they're worth.

Finally, yes. Look for the nicest car possible and repaint per your desire.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 10:03:43 PM by j_c_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton

Offline JSimmons

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 03:49:02 AM »
Aloha Jason,

Thanks for your reply.  

I would never take a car like a Ghia to some franchised shop.  Not that those shops are bad, they just serve a different customer base.  So, if I do end up getting a project car...I just have to be prepared to realize it could turn into a \"bottom-less pit\" type of deal.  Hmmm...I suppose I'd rather just buy a nice Ghia to start off and repaint as I desire.

Thanks again for your input.

aloha,
Joel

Matt

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 05:54:53 PM »
They want nice easy Hondas to work on, because they couldn't be bothered doing anything that requires real craftsmanship.

So taking a Honda thats been in a collision and returning it to factory specs so you and your family is safe for the next time your driving on the streets isn't craftsmanship??? I beg to differ. Cars today are way more structurally complex,  with very little margin for error.  I like to think I have some craftmanship sending a car back onto the streets knowing it is safe again, knowing it will crash the way they are suppose to crash from the factory.  I think you might want to go inside one of these \"franchised shops\" and have a look around, you might find some craftsmen in there. whatever you do though..dont say they have no craftsmenship.

Matt
My 2 cents worth.

Offline James Buchan

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 06:56:52 PM »
Hey Matt, I gave your number to a guy looking to get some body work done on his bus/bug (not sure which) he's in no rush, winter project kinda thing. I wasn't sure if you are ready to start taking side jobs on or not yet. Actually if you are, my car is still waiting for some rust repair :) I got those nice german panels from Geoff and they are ready to go in :)

Matt

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 12:27:36 AM »
I just picked up a bottle for my mig welder....all set up now. Maybe I should come around again and have a look-see.

Matt

Offline JSimmons

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 05:06:43 AM »
Hey Matt,

I agree with what you say about franchise shops now that I think about it.  I never really stopped to think about the fact that they need to repair a modern car back to modern standards.  I'm guessing you work at a shop that does that sort of work?  If so, do you guys like to take jobs that involve the restoration of something like a vintage VW?

:D

aloha,
Joel

Matt

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 07:17:19 PM »
The shop I am at now does Big Rigs....not a car shop at all. The deal with franchised shops is all the technicians are paid flat rate. Whatever the insurance company pays to do the job is what the tech gets paid. With that in mind you cant put a flat rate time on a restoration.  Like you said earlier, they serve a differant customer base. When inquiring about a shop and/or their quality, ask how they pay their techs..hourly or flat rate. An hourly tech will likely have more pride/ success with a restoration.

Matt

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 01:25:00 PM »
I wasn't trying to insult franchised collision repairmen.
The first time I needed damage repaired was on a solid 1970 Ghia. It was not a claim, but a cash job. This was in Langley back in 91 or so. I went to every franchised body shop in Langley and couldn't find one that would even give me an estimate. Not one. I got answers ranging from \"no\" to \"we don't have the equipment\".  I ended up going to Roses Autobody (long gone now) who did an excellent job. Last repair work I had done (a claim in 2001) was at Steveston Collision in Richmond. Highly recommended. They worked with me to get the most out of the ICBC repair cost limit. And, incidentally, they were referred to me by \"Craftsman\" Collision, who declined the job.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 01:25:57 PM by j_c_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton

Matt

Ghia Bodywork
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 10:26:37 PM »
I wasn't offended, nor am I a franchised collision repairman. But to say that a modern day autobody tech has no craftsmanship is just plain ignorance. The leading factor in those shops declining your car is $$$$$. Shops like craftsman are there to make a profit, you talk to any shop and there is way more profit to be made doing collision than restoration. Nobody wants to pay for a restoration, but expects a show finish for maaco prices.
There's more to autobody than slinging bondo.........

Matt