Author Topic: buy or dont bother?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline purple turd

buy or dont bother?
« on: October 24, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »
i have a chance to buy a complete running 72 superbeetle pretty cheap. it needs a front hood & the front panel between the fenders. runs well,has new brakes {drums,wheel cyls,shoes,hoses,master cyl}its not rusty but needs paint. i was thinkin winter beater but ive never driven aircooled in winter. are supers worth anything? or should i look elswhere?

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: buy or dont bother?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »
how much is "pretty cheap"?

so was this car in an accident (front hood & panel damage)?

you say it's not rusty but have you had a really good look in/around and under the whole car? did you pull up the carpet to look at the floors & heater channels? battery tray? rear crossmember? front crossmember/napoleans hat? bumper brackets/mounts? bottoms of the rear 1/4 panels? front & rear aprons?

any heat (gas heater or heater boxes)?

how about the tires?

do the wipers works?

how about the window seals? good condition or cracked, old & leaky?

any pics?

supers are worth something but like anything, it depends on condition. it is possible to drive an acvw all winter with no problems...but it depends on the car and how it has been and will be maintained.

plus it's supposed to be a nasty winter...so be prepared!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:34:19 PM by silas »

Offline purple turd

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »
$800,yes it was hit in the front but no structual damage was done. still drives straight & checked out fine on the alignment machine. floors & heat channels are good. the one rusty spot is the body mount on only one side {in rear wheel well} heater box heaters only. new winter tires{ still have stickers on them} everything works, even the weatherstripping looks good. was an old guys car & he doesnt drive anymore

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
offer him $600, bungy cord the hood shut, dont drop a dime on it (except for regular maintenance) and give'er!

i wouldnt bank on getting much back out of it (cash wise...if you decide to sell it)...but for a $600-$800 winter beater you'll have some fun in it!

just my $.02!

Offline purple turd

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:01:35 AM »
havin trouble deciding...buy a driveable super? wait till i find a cheap bj/irs bug? i really want a non super but there doesnt seem to be much out there thats an affordable project. i tried to post a couple pics but they are somehow to big.