Author Topic: 1600 dp to bus 3 rib  (Read 1978 times)

Offline jeff450x

1600 dp to bus 3 rib
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
will a car dual port 1600 fit a bus 3 rib tranny? would i need to run a diffrent clutch or will the beetle one work? I know i have to change the mounts but thats no problem.....ANY advise would be great...Thanks

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: 1600 dp to bus 3 rib
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Depends on what year bus it's from, if it's got the 2 mounting lugs ontop of the bellhousing it's likely 72+ and may be for a type 4 powered bus, if that's the case the input shaft needs to be shortened roughly 1/4".
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline stu817

Re: 1600 dp to bus 3 rib
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
I did a swap into my manx it went well I did use a six rib it is stronger but verry much the same as the three rib the only big issue I had was the cv angle the manx is tall so I lowered the trans mount so the cv was close to the horn the bought conversion mounts the trans about an inch off the horns I also ended up useing bus cv inside and out and I ended up with 17deg. here is a posting when I was trying to figure it out http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=16927.0 the post is in the trans forum there is also a posting on the samba in the offroad section called "transmisions for dummies" it has some good info if you want to see what I did I can show you my swap Oh I almost forgot I have to change my axel with bus cv in and out the axel needs to be  shorter if you can use a beetle cv outside you do not need to change it there is other ways around the cv thing and axel if you serch the net you will find info I will pm you my number call if you want more info