Author Topic: windshield wiper's  (Read 2890 times)

Offline mizovalgrl

windshield wiper's
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
I'm not certain what category this would fall under. My wiper's were working and now they're not.Could it perhaps be a loose connection,a
switch or maybe the motor need's to be replaced. How can I test this problem.Thank's for your advice in advance.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:33:10 AM by mizovalgrl »

Offline pittwagen

Re: windshield wiper's
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
Don't know your vehicle but judging from your handle you might have an oval bug.  6Volt?  If so, corrosion at the fuse and loose connections and corrosion at the screw on wire terminals are your greatest enemy.

It would be nice to have a digital voltmeter to see if any power is moving around the wiper system.

Start with the fuse box under the hood and check for corroded terminals and fuses.  I believe the wiper fuse is on one side of the fuse box.  Can't remember which side - last oval I had was 20 some years ago.  Clean, clean clean using sandpaper or a sharp knife.  You want a good clean connection. 

You might just want to disconnect the negative battery terminal so as not to short anything out while cleaning particularly if using a knife or metal object to scrape away the corrosion.  If the fuse is badly corroded, replace it. 

Check the wire from the light switch to the other (hot) side of the fuse for tight and non corroded connections.  This fuse gets its power from the light switch.

Trace the wire from the fuse box to the wiper switch and wires from the wiper switch to the wiper motor.  There are a couple of different configurations depending on whether you have a self parking wiper motor or not - one additional wire to check.  Again clean if required and tighten the the screw connections everywhere.  Hopefully you will be able to get at the screw connections without removing the wiper motor or switch.

Check to see if there is voltage across the wiper switch as well - when you pull it out and ignition key on, if I recall.  Oh and after you reconnected the battery.

This should get you started.  I'm sure some of our learned members will chime in if I've missed anything.

My thoughts for now!!  Sun is now out - got to go play!!

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 12:22:59 PM »
Mary, that is some good advise right there. But if all else fails, Rain-X is your best friend.

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:46:02 PM »
Mary, that is some good advise right there. But if all else fails, Rain-X is your best friend.
pittwagen thank's for your input, it's a fuse issue..go figure. Brian Rain-X is awesome ... I use it on my shower wall's ....lol_hitting

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
I found if i just put rainx on me the rain comes right off!! its great!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline mizovalgrl

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
I found if i just put rainx on me the rain comes right off!! its great!!
cute  ;)

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
You mean to tell me I don't need a top?  More money for the bus!

It's all the puddles that form in the bottom of the plastic seat that I really hate though!!

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
There's a high tech cure for that you know ;)
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »
Ah, the Surrey way!  Remember doing that; not that I would ever admit to living in Surrey. 

I tried really hard to ensure the water didn't come up from the floor.  Back to the top idea.

Blame it on Steve.  We were having a nice discussion about 6V wiper systems!!

Offline finkmobile

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
Also, I heard that if you're in a pinch and out of rain-x, half an onion rubbed on your windshield does the job.  So I've heard anyway...