Author Topic: CIP Orange pan half  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Thomas

CIP Orange pan half
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
Just want to know if anyone has used these cip orange pan half before. I pick mine up yesterday and when I got home I placed them beside the stock ones and I noticed the seat rails sit at a different angle as you can see from the pictures. I contacted cip and they checked the other pans they have in stock and they are all like that. Not sure if it will be that noticable once they are installed that's why I want to know if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks Thomas

58 Beetle

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: CIP Orange pan half
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:28:27 PM »
hey thomas...i've never used those orange cip pans so i cant add first hand experience...

...but imho...they just dont look right. the front guide rail is not parrallel with the stampings in the pan and even if they do work, the "look" would send my ocd over the edge. my car is FAR from perfect...but i do like certain things a certain way. :o

the way the seat tracks are mounted to the pans it would almost seem like the seats would be pointed/offset to the left...or that one track on the seat would mount to the track on the pan before the other...?

so...maybe you could try & call cip & see if they will let you mount a seat to it to see what it's like...but make sure that they will still honour a complete return if you do need to return them...or skip it all and take those ones back and order some other ones. they're a good bunch of folks so i'm sure they'll help out as much as possible.

just for reference...here are the best pics i could find of my pan while i was building it...

the drivers side pan is an aftermarket pan i got from airspeed (via cip) ages ago (and after referencing cip's website i'm pretty sure it's the zito brand...but like i said...i bought them when airspeed was still open so it was awhile ago  ;)). the passengers side pan is original...

and here is a pic of chris' pans that he got from wolfsburg west...

the differences between all the pans is very noticeable. the wolfsburg west pan is most like the original pan (stampings, fit, finish, gauge). the "zito" airspeed/cip pan (in the drivers side of my car) is stamped a little different, a little thinner, it took a little "love" to get it to fit right, but the seat track is mounted good and parrallel with the pan stampings (allthough the seat tracks were attached a little flimsy so ran a few short beads around the seat tracks to re-inforce them)...but the orange ones you got just look a little "off" (even tho i'm sure they are a good product and would work allright...and after looking at the pics of the orange pans on the cip website it looks like they way they are). and again...this is just my opinion...but that "look" would drive me nuts!

Offline notchback

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »
Definitely the tracks were welded on crooked. Just grind off te spot welds and re tack them on in the correct spot. You will be welding in the pans so it shouldn't be a problem
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
...Just grind off te spot welds and re tack them on in the correct spot. You will be welding in the pans so it shouldn't be a problem...

mmmmmm...doable...but time consuming and not the best solution imho. maybe my expectations are too high but if i dropped that kind of cash on each side i'd want a better item than that.

the thing i find interesting is that when thomas called cip, they said all the other orange pans are like that and when you look at the pic on the website they look like that...so...are they just supposed to be like that...?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »
Decided to take them back and go a different root. ;D
58 Beetle