Author Topic: 64 Beetle  (Read 5090 times)

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« on: August 14, 2005, 02:45:23 AM »
Hi all,

I've spent a while trying to fix a finicky problem that I'm having with my door handles to no avail. I bought some aftermarket handles and once installed they will lock but the button is stuck down and I can't get my keys out. They won't work at all.

This is frustrating b/c I can't lock my car. Has anyone run into the this before and if you fixed it, how?

If anyone has any suggestions/solutions that would be great!

Thanks,
Stu

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 02:24:14 AM »
Does anyone have any idea's about this? I've exhausted all my resources. =(

Offline James Buchan

64 Beetle
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 07:07:58 AM »
stuck as in jamming or not lubricated? I've never purchased an aftermarket handle do they come with retaining clips for shipping attached? Maybe you missed one?

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 11:46:20 AM »
stuck as in jamming or not lubricated? I've never purchased an aftermarket handle do they come with retaining clips for shipping attached? Maybe you missed one?
It's jamming. I've lubricated all the mechanisms but still no go. There are no retating clips, only seals and two screws. I think I may need original ones that work properly unless someone has a solution.

Offline GMB

64 Beetle
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 11:03:47 PM »
Where did you get them from Stu?
 Gary.
Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »
Where did you get them from Stu?
 Gary.
I got them from CIP. I REALLY need help on this. I'm hoping someone will have decent OG ones that I can buy or help me to get these things to work.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 04:37:31 PM by stu »

Offline James Buchan

64 Beetle
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 08:19:05 AM »
I got them from CIP

Stu,Stu,Stu........   ]:(  

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 02:10:58 PM »

Stu,Stu,Stu........   >:(
I know. Do know where I could get a couple OG ones or better aftermarket handles? I really need a hand here, this is such a bummer. =(

Satan,s Square

64 Beetle
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 03:21:34 PM »
I'm itchy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:02:02 PM by Satan,s Square »

Russ

64 Beetle
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 04:02:46 PM »

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 04:29:27 PM »
Hey Stu,

Is your full first name Stupid?
Read the other tread you posted.
That was a constructive response, I didn't check the other thread.

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 04:30:46 PM »
http://www.airspeedparts.com/community-for...=ST&f=24&t=5626

rusty bus has some by the sounds of it
Thanks Russ, I'll message him and see what he has.

Thanks a lot.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
64 Beetle
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »
Hey Stu,

Is your full first name Stupid?
Read the other tread you posted.
and once again, satans square graces the asf and blesses us all with his infinate wisdom and incredible knowledge.

you dont get out much, do you little guy? for a member with such a baddass name, you sure do seem like a pussy.
what gives? is the water in the trailer park contaminated or did you and your uncle play \"hide the sausage\" one to many times?

Matt

64 Beetle
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »
um..yah. With only 3 posts under yur belt there Belzebub, comments like that are as welcome as a fart in a phone booth.

Russ

64 Beetle
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 10:07:43 PM »
funny thing is i went to read all three posts and one is missing (deleted?) :rolleyes:  

Satan,s Square

64 Beetle
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 06:04:39 AM »
I think I'm going to cry now .......................not
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 09:03:13 PM by Satan,s Square »

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 12:32:13 PM »
Cousin Silas I always new you were jealous that your dad was humping my  ass not yours. That must be the only reason you could be mad I see no harm in what I have done. Let's recap for a moment ,in my first post I miss under stood the problem. second post was Matt vs Kirin, all I did there was point out that in kirin atempt to get back at Matt he was making other people mad. And in this last post you got a guy who double posted looking for a handle and tha dude never look to see his add in the classified section where some bozo was ready and willing to stick his hand in his pocket . I don't consider my self to be a smart person and the fact that I noticed it makes me think he's kinda stupid.
SS,

It only took you three days to think of a response? Bravo in thinking up such a crushing retort so fast.

Now on to reality. It wasn't a double post.

In this section I was asking how to fix an existing problem. The other post I ask about purchasing some OG handles after finding out the solution. Those are two separate issues, hence two separate posts asking different things. It makes sense if you are logical person.

This is how someone should post to solve a problem. Start off by asking how to fix the problem in the right area and when you find the answer on how to fix it, write another post to buy handles in an appropriate area to resolve the problem.

You think I'm kind of stupid? Perhaps my friend learning to spell and learning the proper use of the English language would be helpful to make yourself look a little smarter.

You could also look into some critical thinking seminars.

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 12:52:56 PM »
Hey all,

Here is an update on my door handle situation. This could help some of you that have late model 64 Beetles.

Aftermarket handles will NOT work as they will jam, or at least in my case. You will need to find OG late model 64 - 65 handles for them to work (still looking).

Stu

Crank

64 Beetle
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 08:58:50 PM »
Stu....I don't know if you want to take this route but...
There is a fix, or at least it worked for me on my 56.
I do not have OG handles either, and had to pick up some aftermarket ones too.
One handle worked fine. One did not.

I used a die grinder to make a shallow groove in the aftermarket handle (I personally don't like to cut up or modify ANYTHING original, I'd rather hack the aftermarket products) where the locking mechanism (door latch rod or what ever you call it, lol) contacts the door handles inner mechanism. (Put your door handle on, the door handle should be in the unlocked position... open/close, 5 or 6 times.  It should leave a mark on the inside of the handle) Grind that area down a little at a time so when you put the handle back on, there is no (or little) pressure on the locking mechanism. This will allow the locking mechanism to ... let go.

I don't know if this will work for you, but to test it... before you grind, just hold your handle to the door, no screws in it. Try to lock, unlock, and use the inner door handle lock. No worky??? Then let off some pressure until you hear a \"click\" from the door latch. Now try everything...holding the handle in place. This worked beautifully for me. ;]

If you don't understand my post, let me know I'll try to explain or give you a hand. Still, I think the best bet is to find original handles!  :unsure:

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »
I used a die grinder to make a shallow groove in the aftermarket handle (I personally don't like to cut up or modify ANYTHING original, I'd rather hack the aftermarket products) where the locking mechanism (door latch rod or what ever you call it, lol) contacts the door handles inner mechanism. (Put your door handle on, the door handle should be in the unlocked position... open/close, 5 or 6 times.  It should leave a mark on the inside of the handle) Grind that area down a little at a time so when you put the handle back on, there is no (or little) pressure on the locking mechanism. This will allow the locking mechanism to ... let go.

This sounds like an interesting thing to try if I can't find proper OG ones.

I'm sure it must work as the \"paddle\" (that's what I'm calling it, lol) is higher than the little post in the handle mechanism. I checked out a thrashed OG handle and the \"paddle\" was the same height as the post in the OG handle. The aftermarket's paddle is much higher.

I hope this made some sense.

Thanks for the post,
Stu

Offline silas

64 Beetle
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 09:43:14 PM »
Cousin Silas

nice try. but the closest you'll ever get to being related to royalty is when you use \"royale bathroom tissue\" to wipe the poop off your lips after giving your hamster a rimjob.

I always new you were jealous that your dad was humping my  ass not yours.

confessing your troubled past is the first step to recovery. congrats.

That must be the only reason you could be mad I see no harm in what I have done. Let's recap for a moment ,in my first post I miss under stood the problem. second post was Matt vs Kirin, all I did there was point out that in kirin atempt to get back at Matt he was making other people mad. And in this last post you got a guy who double posted looking for a handle and tha dude never look to see his add in the classified section where some bozo was ready and willing to stick his hand in his pocket .

4 useless posts, 1 useless poster.

I don't consider my self to be a smart person...

well, you got one thing right.

and the fact that I noticed it makes me think he's kinda stupid.

dont go hurting yourself by thinking.

you've proven to us all that you obviously have a hard time comprehending the simple logistics of using an internet forum. if your computer didnt have a big red \"on\" button, my guess is that you wouldnt even be here. if you can find the great canadian vw show in coquitlam tomorrow, come and find me. my name is silas. ask around. most people know me and i shouldnt be to hard to find. it'll be nice to meet the person that founded the \"STDs\" (save the dumbass society).

Offline silas

64 Beetle
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »
Aftermarket handles will NOT work as they will jam, or at least in my case. You will need to find OG late model 64 - 65 handles for them to work (still looking).

Stu
hey stu. not only is there a great vw show in coquitlam tomorrow, but there is a great swap meet aswell.

your best bet would be to go there and start digging. you should be able to find what you need.

good luck.  B)  

Offline rustybus

64 Beetle
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 09:50:34 PM »

nice try. but the closest you'll ever get to being related to royalty is when you use "royale bathroom tissue" to wipe the poop off your lips after giving your hamster a rimjob.

you've proven to us all that you obviously have a hard time comprehending the simple logistics of using an internet forum. if your computer didnt have a big red "on" button, my guess is that you wouldnt even be here. if you can find the great canadian vw show in coquitlam tomorrow, come and find me. my name is silas. ask around. most people know me and i shouldnt be to hard to find. it'll be nice to meet the person that founded the "STDs" (save the dumbass society).
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2005, 04:13:39 AM »

Stu
hey stu. not only is there a great vw show in coquitlam tomorrow, but there is a great swap meet aswell.

your best bet would be to go there and start digging. you should be able to find what you need.

good luck.  B)
Hey Silas,

I'll be there for sure as well and I'm sure I'll find what I need! :)

Are you entered in the show?

Stu

Offline Hillbilly

• http://
64 Beetle
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2005, 09:42:13 PM »

nice try. but the closest you'll ever get to being related to royalty is when you use \"royale bathroom tissue\" to wipe the poop off your lips after giving your hamster a rimjob.

you've proven to us all that you obviously have a hard time comprehending the simple logistics of using an internet forum. if your computer didnt have a big red \"on\" button, my guess is that you wouldnt even be here. if you can find the great canadian vw show in coquitlam tomorrow, come and find me. my name is silas. ask around. most people know me and i shouldnt be to hard to find. it'll be nice to meet the person that founded the \"STDs\" (save the dumbass society).
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
that about says it all don't it   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: Stop it salis stop it .... :wacko: your killing me....so did the CEO of the STD stop by for a visit..... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: ..... :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blush:  hey whats the chance of meeting up with me this week.....no seriously B)    Bill
If any won of yew can tell me how to ewes spell cheque please let me no.....:o)

Offline silas

64 Beetle
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2005, 11:05:07 PM »
Are you entered in the show?

negative. mearly a spectator/lot boy.  ;)

hey whats the chance of meeting up with me this week

hey bill. got your message. i'll definatily give you a ring tomorrow (monday).

Offline rustybus

64 Beetle
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 12:23:46 AM »
Stu

Did you get those in yet ?

Chris

Offline stu

64 Beetle
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2005, 12:34:22 AM »
Stu

Chris
Hey Chris,

I'm all good to go! Thanks a lot for your help, it was much appreciated.

Stu

Offline silas

64 Beetle
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2005, 03:33:16 PM »
Stu

Chris
Hey Chris,

I'm all good to go! Thanks a lot for your help, it was much appreciated.

Stu
congrats.  B)  

Offline rustybus

64 Beetle
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 05:00:23 PM »
:blush:  :wub: It's all about the ride