Author Topic: '71 Bay SCORE!  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Cerot

'71 Bay SCORE!
« on: September 23, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
Found this bus up here in Powell River, $500! Engine runs, bus stops. Only damage is that big nasty dent in the front and a 10"x4" section of rust in the right hand cargo floor from the sink drain, otherwise its near perfect (even the jack supports are %100!). Looks like it was a 9 passenger that someone Westified rather poorly, so I'm hunting down Westy parts, have the sink/fridge, need just about everything else but the bed. It is going to be soooo nice starting out with a solid bus, rather than working a pile of rust into something.

Offline buggal

• April McNicol
  • 1972 STD Beetle project
Re: '71 Bay SCORE!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
Good score. That dent isn't bad at all. Have fun

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
Nice score! looks like a very solid bus!

Here's everything you need to make yours a Westy, maybe they will part it out...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/2606647299.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 09:19:55 AM by Geoff »

Offline Cerot

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:58:59 AM »
Got a tow truck to bring it home today, half hour drive to my place. As he is pulling into the driveway, the front right wheel on the bus started smoking, and the hubcap and dust cover blew off. Next, all the bearing grease liquified and ran down the tire, which promptly caught on fire and melted the valve stem. No damage other than the wheel and toasty bearing, but it was definitely one of those "Oh shit, that could have happened on the highway" moments.

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 07:52:21 PM »
Nice score! I saw the ad for that bus and thought "Nah, for that price it's gotta be rusty". You really lucked out. Bench seat bays are pretty rare.

Offline Batan

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
I saw you post in one of the threads on the Samba about 5 or 7 hundred dollar buses.
And I was JUST going to say "no way it stops" when I read this...

Got a tow truck to bring it home today, half hour drive to my place. As he is pulling into the driveway, the front right wheel on the bus started smoking, and the hubcap and dust cover blew off. Next, all the bearing grease liquified and ran down the tire, which promptly caught on fire and melted the valve stem. No damage other than the wheel and toasty bearing, but it was definitely one of those "Oh shit, that could have happened on the highway" moments.

... I guess it stops a bit too well. lol Great score either way!

- Ermin
'69 Riviera Bus
'74 Super Beetle
formerly '61 Ghia

duostyling