Author Topic: Any idea what this is under my fuse block?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline kinggeorge13

• Whaddya mean I can't buy more buses?
Any idea what this is under my fuse block?
« on: October 24, 2016, 07:12:29 PM »
Working on a 1977 bus and the nightmare of previous owners wiring for the stereo and booster amp.  Below the fuse block (the standard location above the steering column under the dash) I found this larger plastic box than I expected.    It sure seems like it's part of the fuse block: same black plastic, same size, looks to be part of it.    But what throws me especially is the variable resistor knob as you see on the right side.    It turns like any variable resistor like a volume control.    It has no off/on switch at the end of the turning travel, it's just a variable resistor.   But I have no idea what it does.   The two white marks I'm thinking are there to show some previous owner the best setting to turn it to but that's a guess.   

I'm attaching a photo.  Anyone know what this is?  None of my other buses have this (I don't think).   Maybe some aftermarket fuse block and/or some addition or maybe it's stock from VW but it's new to me. 

Thanks!
-George
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos
1974 Westy, Garfield
1973 Tin top camper, Bart (now thinking he's 1976)
1974 gutted Riviera, Casper
1975 Westy, Stella
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Any idea what this is under my fuse block?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »
VW didn't put it there, off hand I'll guess variable speed wipers or a TS2 bypass for the FI, or maybe some sort of heat booster fan.
Only you can answer the question, trace whatever wires are attached to it and tell us where they go.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline kinggeorge13

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »
I'll take it apart tonight and see where the wires go.   I took a cursory look last night but cannot see which wires come out of the back for that specific control compared to all the other wires so I figured I would ask in case this was something more common than I knew of.    Darned weird place to put a control.  Not easy to reach, not easy to see (unless upside down under your dash, more or less).    Variable wiper would be interesting............the wipers do not work currently: still a weird place to put it.   I'll figure it out and send out an update.   Quite the little mystery. 

Thanks!
-George
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1974 Westy, Garfield
1975 Westy, Stella

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:24:23 AM »
While you are down there get rid of those blue fuses, that's expensive smoke waiting to happen. They should all be white except for #9 & #10 which are red.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline kinggeorge13

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:12 PM »
And there ya go.  The mystery knob is either a "bass boost" or simply a "gain control" for the 40 watt amplifier coming off the 1990's era stereo cassette deck.   I wondered why those two 6x9 speakers had no "oomph" even with the amplifier turned on.   Still a weird place to put it but I guess it is physically close to the amplifier, just not easy to get to and adjust.   

Next I'll put all the proper fuses in while I'm down in that area cleaning up the various PO wiring.   

Thanks!
-George
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1974 Westy, Garfield
1975 Westy, Stella