Author Topic: 1953 Split, think its time  (Read 4166 times)

Offline splitman_53

• AirSpeed Forum Member
1953 Split, think its time
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »
Well, finally took the Split out of storage to check it over, after nearly 30 years in storage.  I bought the car, answering an add in a local paper, $500 bucks or going to the crusher! Didn't think it was an actual split, but bought it on site, no questions asked.  Put it in storage to play with later, didn't think it would take this long, but I think its time. Don't have the original pan, or engine, as the body was sitting on a trailer in the guys yard, so put in on a spare pan.  Still original paint on it, but no interior.  Any suggestions for it? Let me know, as I am leaning toward updating the running gear and powertrain.  Wonder if there is even any original parts out there to restore it?  Everyone thought I was nuts, keeping it all this time, but I think crazy is O.K.

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Re: 1953 Split, think its time
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »
Welcome! Always nice to have another project to follow the progress of. Yes, most of the parts are available if you're trying to go stock, if not, even easier! ;)
brian waz

Offline splitman_53

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply, just found out about this site today, so went ahead and posted on it.  Have had a lot of years and time to think about which way to go, and still do not know which way to start.  Restored means not using the car too much, as the streets are way to hectic and busy for the old style drum brakes and suspension, and finding an original engine/trans, might be a dead end.  I am leaning to update to discs, and a new 1600, for reliablitiy, freeway flyer trans,  maybe a newer IRS suspension for handling, but would like to keep the inside and outside all '53.

Offline Jerome

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:12:54 PM »
Well, finally took the Split out of storage to check it over, after nearly 30 years in storage.  I bought the car, answering an add in a local paper, $500 bucks or going to the crusher! Didn't think it was an actual split, but bought it on site, no questions asked.  Put it in storage to play with later, didn't think it would take this long, but I think its time. Don't have the original pan, or engine, as the body was sitting on a trailer in the guys yard, so put in on a spare pan.  Still original paint on it, but no interior.  Any suggestions for it? Let me know, as I am leaning toward updating the running gear and powertrain.  Wonder if there is even any original parts out there to restore it?  Everyone thought I was nuts, keeping it all this time, but I think crazy is O.K.

:welcome:
Very cool! Welcome to the forum! I say keep all the patina if you can, and slam it on a swing axle pan with a 2180cc and discs up front. And then ooooooze with style that half of us cant touch!

But thats just me speaking.... :great:
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »
Don't have the original pan, or engine,
With the original pan gone, there's no way this car can ever be restored properly, so I say build it with late model running gear for better driveability. Then you'll want to drive it a LOT.

Let's see some pics of this car!

Offline WESTY69

• Just Slam it and Drive It !!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »
Welcome to one of the best Veedubin sites ever , there is so much talent and experience here you can't go wrong . Let's see this beauty , keep the patina if you can , so cool that you kept it for this long , cheers to yiu and your build ;)
Those that mind , don't matter !!
Those that matter , don't mind :)

Offline Jerome

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
Is it back in storage again?
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
Let's see some pics of this car!