Author Topic: 48 Ida's  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Bubba

48 Ida's
« on: December 31, 2005, 10:05:39 AM »
I have stripped down my carbs in order to properly clean them, and rebuild them.  I cant seem to get the accellerator pump plunger free from the body.  Does the slotted brass cap just pop out with some persuading, or will I damage something?  

I want to get these things done this week.  BTW, anyone have some rebuild kits...just the gasket set will do.

Csaba
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 10:06:07 AM by Bubba »
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline Bruce

48 Ida's
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:31:14 AM »
Does the slotted brass cap just pop out with some persuading, or will I damage something?  

Yes, just pop it off with a scribe or some other small hooked tool.

Offline Bubba

48 Ida's
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:19:21 PM »
Thanks Bruce...they just popped right out.  I didn't want to force them as it is damn hard to find serviceable parts for these things...

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline James Buchan

48 Ida's
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »
Geoff can get the rebuild kits in for your IDA's. He got all the stuff for mine.

Offline Bubba

48 Ida's
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 04:50:57 PM »
Geoff can get the rebuild kits in for your IDA's. He got all the stuff for mine.
When was the last time you ordered kits for IDA's?  I have been waiting 6 mos from Airspeed...looks like I finally have a line on some out of Australia.

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Offline James Buchan

48 Ida's
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 05:17:16 PM »
ABout 2 years ago.. :)

Offline Lanny

48 Ida's
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 08:23:37 PM »
An IDA 'rebuild' kit is basically a bunch of fibre/copper/rubber washers and one top gasket. Most of the IDA's I've done(at least 12) have only needed the top gasket replaced. I'm sure Geoff can order the gaskets from Bergs along with any of the washers. Hint: Always safety wire the float pivot screw like the factory did. I had one come out years ago..a bath of fuel all over the plug wires..   :o  Any problems, Bruce is your man. He also has the float height guages.

Offline Bruce

48 Ida's
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 02:54:39 AM »
looks like I finally have a line on some out of Australia.

You don't need to go downunder to get Weber parts.  Berg carries tons of bits.  Art Thraen at ACE in SLC UT has probably as much.  Pierce Manifold, Redline Weber, are 2 other sources on this continent.
Locally, you can probably get them from Overseas Auto.  Jim is the guy to talk to.

Have a look at all those copper  and fiber washers.  Most of the ones you get in any kit are all the wrong sizes.  I ended up re-using all the original Weber sealing washers.  Only the top gasket really needs replacing.  Berg sells gaskets separately.  I have a stack if you want.

Offline Lanny

48 Ida's
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 07:55:59 AM »
I noticed the same thing, the washers are close..I use all of the origionals unless thay are really bad.

Offline Bubba

48 Ida's
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 09:09:01 AM »
Sounds good guys and thanks for your help.  Just took those babies out of the vapour degreaser and after they cool down I am going to aluminum oxide blast them...protecting the throttle bearings of course.

I was thinking of injecting lithium grease into the bearings just before reassembly...any thoughts?

All the little copper washers look good...I have kept them all.  Just really need the top gasket, like you say.

Gonna face the carb mating surfaces after blasting.

Have to make a little sleeve that contacts and rolls along the accel pump cam...one of the carbs had a flat spot.

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Offline Bruce

48 Ida's
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 01:45:47 PM »
and after they cool down I am going to aluminum oxide blast them...protecting the throttle bearings of course.

Have to make a little sleeve that contacts and rolls along the accel pump cam...one of the carbs had a flat spot.

Don't do it!  You will get grit in the bearings, then the only way to get it out is to take the throttle shafts out.  Also, you run the risk of getting sand stuck in the passages.  

Cameron has made many of the rollers for the pump lever, and can make some for you.

Offline Bubba

48 Ida's
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 06:36:22 PM »
No grit in the bearings...I used bubble gum to seal it all up. Plus I found that plastic worked better than AL Oxide.  Boy does that ever clean them up though.  

I have a machine shop at work so I can make pretty much whatever I want.  The little rollers took about 45 minutes to make 'cause I wanted to make (them) out of titanium.  I had some bar material that I drilled,  turned and cut.

Also, I removed all of the little lead plugs to clean all the passages, and believe me, they are all squeeky clean.

Now...on to profiling the throttle plates (yes, they were removed), drilling the third hole for the progressive circuit, and doing a little material removal to enlarge the bowls.

This is fun, but a lot of niggly work.

Csaba
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG