Author Topic: Help: Carb And Distributor Choice  (Read 2033 times)

Offline 64baja

Help: Carb And Distributor Choice
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:43:22 PM »

I am putting the final touches on my motor and am looking for some advice.  Here is what I have: 1600sp, stock crank, engle 100, header, power pully,.  The heads have been ported and polished and the motor is being balanced now.  I have a friend in the automotive industry so He is spending the time doing it right.  

I am wondering what kind of carb to put on it.  Also 009 or go with ??  distibutor.  I have a 34 pic and am wondering if it is worth it to weild it to the sp manifold or put the 30 pic back on it.  Also have progressive webber 32/36 sitting here.  Would like to keep the  fuel economy but do not want to smother the motor.

Any advice would be a great help.  Thanks  

Offline Cameron

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »
Don't waste your time with the progressive carb.

Best bang for your buck...

Kadron/Solex carb kit, Bosch 009 distributor, and a single QP muffler system.

These three items work very well with a small engine. They're (reasonably) cheap, reliable, and you can still get good gas milage (if you keep your foot out of it).  

Also, think about running a rev limiter, if you go to dual carbs.

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=243_2842
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:02:34 PM by Cameron »

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:47:20 PM »
If you want to build a totally stock engine, single port heads are fine.  As soon as you want more power, throw them away and put dual port head on it.  Spending time porting SP heads is foolish.  With less time and effort, you will make more hp and torque with DP heads.

Offline 64baja

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:13:10 PM »

Thanks for the help.  I know it may have been a waste of time porting the sp heads but my friend who is a machinist thought it was a good practice set before moving onto something bigger.  Solex carbs question, would you recommend putting back on the 30 pic or should I modify the manifold and go with the 34 pic.  I have the 009 here already.  

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I know it may have been a waste of time porting the sp heads but my friend who is a machinist thought it was a good practice set before moving onto something bigger.  Solex carbs question, would you recommend putting back on the 30 pic or should I modify the manifold and go with the 34 pic.  I have the 009 here already.
Heads up....

I read somewhere that 34pict and 009 creates a hesitation for power.

Here is paet of a writen piece by John Connelly, aircooled.net :

\"The 009 Distributor

In 1971 (in the USA) the VW engines were shipped with a \"smog\" distributor, which had a vacuum retard in addition to the vacuum advance. The engines were also changed to the dual port configuration, along with a change in carburetors from the 30 PICT series to the 34 PICT series, which had the additional port for the vacuum retard. These new carbs were also LEAN in their operation, since they had to conform to the new tailpipe standards.

The 009 distributor was introduced, and was a very inexpensive \"replacement\" unit for VW engines, and it was almost a duplicate of the earlier 010 distributor.

These 009 distributors were (and still are) sold by the ton. Early VW engines (pre-71') had no problem, but the smog engines when equipped with the 009/010 distributors had a pronounced and annoying \"flat spot\". A \"flat spot\" is a hesitation just off idle, and can range from being almost unnoticeable to getting broad-sided or rear-ended by approaching cars! (Many 009/34 equipped owners mistake this hesitation for POWER. They don't notice the hesitation, but they DO notice the kick in the back of the seat once the engine catches and it starts accelerating! They mistake this for \"more power\" since there is such a difference between the stumble and actually operating properly.)

The vacuum advance distributors do not have this hesitation since they advance the timing when the throttle is opened as part of their operation. Obviously, the 009/010 is only rpm based, and this vacuum advance doesn't happen. When a 009/010 is combined with the lean SMOG operation of the 34 series carb, the flat spot is the result. Current \"solutions\" are all modifications to the carburetor, which richen up the fuel delivery in various forms, whether it's the idle circuit, the main jet, and/or the accelerator pump circuit.

The error with these \"fixes\" is that they are curing a symptom, not THE PROBLEM. The problem is the lack of additional advance just off idle, not lean operation. The stock distributor/34 carbs didn't have a hesitation! \"

Offline 64baja

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Hope to be up and running soon.

Offline GMB

Re: Help: Carb And Distributor Choice
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »
Nothing wrong with S/P for daily driving performance. I say stick the 34 pict on using the stock 34 pict center section and a set of single port end castings with the header and call it a day. You will get great gas mileage and with a re-jet on the carb get a big boost in performance. The big problem with 34 picts and 009 dist is the jetting of the carb and where folks are setting the timing. When you add a 009 you usually either already have or are adding a header and aftermarket air filter. all three of these require a jetting change on a 34 pict to reep the benefits of the performance parts but rarely do. Timing is usually set to factory specs and not 7-10 deg initial. Some factory specs are 0 degrees and some are even 5 degrees ATDC which could be as much as 15 degrees retarded.
   Gary.

C13-3237 - SINGLE PORT END CASTING PIECE KIT - FITS D/P STYLE CENTER MANIFOLD SECTION TO S/P ENGINES 
Phone-in/Mailorder Price CDN $63.50
Website Discount Price CDN $55.13
You Save CDN $8.37!   

Warrior sand rail:
2276cc 82x94
Engle FK-41 with 1.25:1 street style rockers
40x35.5 stock cast single port heads
Single 40mm Kadron w/32vent
Equalizer 5lb pulley
Stock lifters
Stock aluminum pushrods
26mm aluminum oil pump full flow
*Poor mans rack and pinion up front*

Offline 64baja

Re: Help: Carb And Distributor Choice
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks Gary,

I will try the 34 pic carb as suggested.  I am not sure if I will go with the stock SVDA or use the 009.  Will figure that out as I go.
Thanks