Author Topic: island bug jam 2017  (Read 4962 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
island bug jam 2017
« on: August 30, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »

the 1st annual island bug jam was awesome!!

as soon as this show was announced it was on my radar. the comox valley is my old stomping grounds and a great place to hang, but as the date grew closer i didnt think i'd be able to work out the logistics of attending...but i tossed up a last minute hail mary and got everything in order and busted out a solo mission over to the island for bug jam!!

as first time events go there are always some nervous moments...but the enthusiasm, positive attitudes and hard work of all the show organizers paid off bigtime and all the events ran smoothly and a great weekend was had by all!! big thanks to rhuari, mitch, ken, sean, graham, their families and all the other organizers/volunteers/sponsors!!

great people, cool vws, hanging out, camping, and enjoying all that the valley has to offer makes this an outstanding weekend! and to add to that, the bug jam show on sunday is held on the same grounds as the comox valley exhibition...which is a 3 day long agriculture & farming exhibition with hay rides, face painting, a small petting zoo, livestock, a lumberjack competition, a vintage tractor show, a horse riding competition, food trucks, live music, and lots more...it truly makes it a great experience the whole family can enjoy!!

http://cvex.ca

on to the pics...

saturday afternoon bbq/gathering at the comox valley vw dealership, before the cruise...

then it was time to cruise...a very scenic drive around the harbour, through comox, past point holmes & cfb comox and back into courtenay to the dealership (no pics, too busy driving & enjoying the view)!

after a quick info session regarding the show the next day, it was every dub for themselves. there are lots of options for accommodations & camping in the valley, but i decided to follow a lead a buddy gave me...it was a decent spot right alongside the puntledge river by the condensory bridge swimming hole, a 3 minute drive from downtown and a 10 minute drive from the show location on sunday...lots of room to chill before and after a swim!!

sunday...showtime!! what great turnout and an awesome location!!!

vintage tractors roll through on their way to the exhibition...

this car totally reminded me of a car that was on a vw poster i had as a kid...

nice 57 canadian standard (my fave from the show)...

AL.'s baja (from pr)...

71 beetle originally from volkswagen pacific in vancouver...

seans ride with a nice original paint anthracite grey dash...

mitchy965's ride...

and his old race car currently under new ownership...

buses...

the cool dormy with heilite trailer...

and an interesting acvw powered bike with sidecar...

there was also lots of water-cooled vws, and a huge pile of raffle prizes that were given away throughout the day, plus lots of other non-vw stuff to see & do!

i was having so much fun in the valley that i decided to stay an extra day, on monday i did some more sightseeing, swimming, had lunch on the harbour with the comox glacier in the distance...

...and then hit the road for home, and had an impromptu vintage car show on the ferry...yes, that is a sweet local '61 15 window deluxe...

:cool:

all in all, it was a great weekend and a spectacular 1st event!! kudos to all involved!! hopefully the organizers can build on this momentum and keep this event going strong as it is!! lori & i will be attending the island bug jam 2018 weekend, and everyone here should pencil it in and think about checking it out because it's a great weekend with great people in a great place!! see you all next year!! 

:cool: :) :cool:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:11:15 PM by silas »

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
Re: island bug jam 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »
Looks like a great time!
Thanks for the coverage and enlightening us Silas.
Gonna' have to put that on next years calendar!
Kudos to the organizers, volunteers and sponsors.

Offline Scooby

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
Thanks for the GREAT write up Silas.See you next year,camping in my back yard!

Offline Millet

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »
Seeing these pics makes me really sad there isn't anything like this closer to my location. Seems like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing!