Author Topic: June 02 05  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
June 02 05
« on: June 02, 2005, 09:29:54 AM »
Well It's been  two weeks since the last update. Lots of things have been done but for the most part they are not that interesting. One of the main things was getting all the wiring working.
First off was running a new loom from the front to back, This was for the Oil PSI Guage, Voltmeter, Oil Temp,new turn signal wires, Tach and power wire to secondary fuse box in the eng comp.

The second fuse box will allow me to have ignition switched power for the fuel pump, reverse lights, coil and sutch.

Then It was onto the tail lights, This took a while as I needed to change from the std North American tail light wiring to a Euro spec. It took a while to figure out how to re wire it with the use of the orig flasher and turn switch. Once That was on paper it was fairly simple.

Then it was onto testing all the other wiring and getting it all sorted out. :wacko:

The engine/compartment area has needed a lot of small work. Since I have now converted to Webers the dist needs a vacume source, FI coil needed to be swaped, Engine tin needed to be made (Powdercoated by Russ) The exhaust was ceramic coated as well as some other small parts.

The above pic shows the muffler in place but still not finished.
The rear shocks were the next problem, Stock ones were too long and the Beetle ones too short. So I found a set of Bilstien shocks that I could adapt.....This meant cutting 4\" out of the stroke of the shocks so I could get a correct fitting shock.

Here is a shot of the front, modified rear and a rear before mod.

Next was test fitting seats, I have tried many seats and found the Scat Rally seat to look good and feel good. Only problem was it sat way to high. So out came the sawzall! I stripped off the covering and cut away all the underside of the seat frame, then welded on the orig bus seat track and set the height. :rockon:  Now it sits just right.

I'll run the seats without the headrest.
I found that seat at the Sacramento Bug o Rama for $25.00, I thought if it fit well I may buy a set.  Brian aka Red Snapper came in the shop and happened to have the match to the seat! So now I have a pair and they will soon be recovered to match the rest of the interior......that still needs to be done :wacko:

Next was the brakes, The fronts needed to be turned nad re packed as well as the entire system bled. After a few leaks were fixed we now have brakes!

CV Axles and new boots, I'm running the 911 axles and CV's so I went to order new boots but at $60 ea I looked around and found out bus CV boots are the same and only $15.00ea
Call me cheap If ya like but I have better ways to spend the extra $180 :D

Looks like by the next post it should have taken it's first breath!