Author Topic: weird brake issue  (Read 3353 times)

Offline 72vdub

weird brake issue
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »
I parked my bug for the winter and everything was working properly before I parked it, but then a couple months ago when I went to start it up(which I try to do every other week or so) I decided to move it and went to hit the brakes and the pedal went right to the floor. So today I finally was able to look at it closer, I checked the reservoir and the front half was full and the back was empty which I can't figure out. Last summer I replaced a section of the thru cab line cause it had rusted out and I lost my brakes half way to work(good thing it's standard and the e-brake works) after I replaced it I bled all 4 corners and they worked better then they ever had. so today I filled up the reservoir and opened the back bleeders and had fluid coming out but I didn't notice any air or anything, so I closed the bleeders and went and pumped the brakes and after about ten pumps there was a little bit of pressure so I stopped pumping and checked the reservoir again and it was still full so I went back to see how the pedal felt and it went right to the floor again, so I tried pumping it up again and it built up a little pressure again so I took my foot off the pedal for a couple seconds and then tried again and it went right to the floor again.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? could it be the master is gone or something like that? Cause I haven't noticed anymore leaks anywhere since I changed the line and they were working perfectly when I parked it.

Billyisgr8

Re: weird brake issue
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »
maybe your seals on the wheel cylinders are leaking inside of the drum on the rears.

Offline 72vdub

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
nope there is no sign of any leaks at either the front or rear wheels, that was one of the first things I checked.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
Well that fluid had to go somewhere, pull the master cylinder out a bit and see if the framehead/firewall is wet inside.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline 72vdub

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »
yeah I was thinking that would be my next step.

Offline 72vdub

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
Well I just happened to look under my car yesterday in passing and noticed something dripping from the front frame head area and sure enough when I check it was brake fluid so now my question is answered, I need a new master cylinder. Thanks for the help.