Author Topic: Dimpled Fenders?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
Dimpled Fenders?
« on: January 13, 2007, 04:51:59 PM »
When was the last year that dimpled rear fenders were used? I know my 58 should have them. I hoping up to 61, since I may be able to pick up a pair.

Thanks.
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
Dimpled Fenders?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:39:50 PM »
Bump.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Dimpled Fenders?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »
We're in the same boat.  I still need to find all 4 fenders for my '58.  Last piece of the puzzle so to speak.
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
Dimpled Fenders?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
Mowser,

I am two up on you, I have the proper fronts with the tubes. The rears are going to an expensive purchase. I am going through the Kootenays this summer, with a few leads that will hopefully land me a set.  

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Dimpled Fenders?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
I've been doing the same research.  here's what I found.  

Quote from: \"Trayle D. the real oggfk\"
58 fenders are actually alittle wider and skirt down more on the side.  Also they use a \"wire tube\" at the bottom of the headlight bucket for the headlight wires instead of the later style ruber tube that goes in the headlight bucket closer to the top.  If you weld a wire tube onto a later style fender and run one later german fender and one early German fender your car will apear to be higher on the side with the later fender, because of the difference in shape from early to late.  there are also subtle differences in fenders all the way through 58-66.  Saying that they are all the same simply isnt true and you are boardering on Jackub-ism by saying that....

Quote from: \"Skim\"
Early front fenders are the same true shape up to 1959 or the last of the wire tube fenders as far as the true shape is concerned. As trayle said, there is a difference. Even bullet fenders are truly the same shape with just the bullet added to them for the US market as fenders up to 1959 even though 58-59 have peanut turnsignals. Early front fenders also have the \"flair\" that contours into the running board at the bottom. There are differences as in the turn signals but bassicaly the same over all fender shape. I can spot  an incorrect fender from a mile away. I always see early cars with 60 and later fenders in magazines. The worst is when someone tries to make a bullet fender out of a 63 fender to match the one correct bullet already on the car.

I put :  \"1958 and fender\" into the search to come up with that answer.   Exactly as it is in quotations and in the Beetle forum.

I'm getting good at searching The Samba for answers.... :wacko:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 03:51:15 PM by Mowser »
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Dimpled Fenders?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 11:23:42 PM »
hey guys, i just saw this add on thesamba.com. you might want to check it out. john (the seller) is a good guy and wont rip you off.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det...l.php?id=413537