Author Topic: running out of gas....or am i?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline rustybug61

• AirSpeed Forum Member
running out of gas....or am i?
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:42:44 PM »
went for a drive. the hotter engine got the worse it ran til it stopped altogether. let it cool a bit and it would start and run. but quickly start popping and farting again as it got hotter again. feels like its running out of gas. not vapour lock in the line. really seems to be related to heat. scratchin my head here.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: running out of gas....or am i?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:38 PM »
Tight valves or the fuel pump pushrod siezing up in the plastic block are the 2 best suspects, a squirt of gas down the carb or a temporary outboard motor fuel tank gravity fed directly to the carb will answer the fuel pump question. Setting the valves extra loose and clattery would answer the valve possibility, but if that's the issue why is it getting so hot?, wrong shroud, wrong fan?, chrome parts on the engine?, hmmmm....?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline scubagord

• The Cabinet Guy
  • Another VW fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
A FRIEND HAD THIS PROBLEM IN HIS BUG A FEW YEARS AGO. OVERHEATING IS A SYMPTOM OF LACK OF FUEL OR LEAN CONDITION. CHECK YOUR FUEL LINE FOR PLUGGING. IF THE FUEL LINE IS PLUGGED YOU WILL NOT GET ENOUGH FUEL FOR THE FUEL PUMP TO PUMP EVEN. RY BLOWING IT OUT FROM THE BACK TO THE FRONT.  MAKE SURE THE GAS CAP IS ON.

GORDO!
65 sunroof beetle
56  Single cab original paint
68 Single Cab
62 Arizona Beetle rust free patina car

Offline rustybug61

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:46:35 AM »
first half of my trip was down hill. no problem for 7 km or so. 2nd half was level or up hill. engine has to work harder. thats when the issues started. really seems to be temp. related.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:16:24 AM by rustybug61 »