Author Topic: 1982 Westfalia Transmission Help  (Read 3004 times)

Offline ryancr500

1982 Westfalia Transmission Help
« on: January 31, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »
I recently bought a 1982 Volkswagen Westfalia needing some mechanical repairs.  In particular, the westfalia is unable to use the reverse gear.  I have to push down (as if using reverse) even to access 1st gear.  I don't know if the issue is in the transmission or due to linkage.  Does anyone have some advice as to how to diagnose the shifting issue.  If it's a transaxle, It was suggested to upgrade to the newer 83+ transaxle and linkage. I would like to work with the current transaxle if possible but have to keep an open mind.

Ryan

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: 1982 Westfalia Transmission Help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
I'm not familiar with a Vanagon shifter, but if that was a bus I'd say have a good look at the shift coupler at the front of the trans as well as all the bushings supporting the shaft. There's also a plastic donut in the nosecone on the end of the hockey stick that can wear away to nothing and cause similar issues.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:18:44 PM »
You should mention that it's got a Jetta engine, maybe the linkage has been played with too.
brian waz

Offline Hansk

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »

You should mention that it's got a Jetta engine, maybe the linkage has been played with too.

Also possible then that this engine/trans assemble is not sitting flat and or level any more. (custom/home made mounts ?)
Big fat black fastback