Author Topic: anyone got a stash of big dies?  (Read 5247 times)

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
anyone got a stash of big dies?
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:19:31 PM »
does anyone have any big dies kicking around im looking to borrow rent whatever a M18 x 1.50 fine thread one if anyone has one, more commonly used on the bottom of the fuel tank where the fuel tap bolts up on, let me know if anyone has it!!

thanks
Zündfolge Car Club

Billyisgr8

Re: anyone got a stash of big dies?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
If you are just cleaning your threads, buy a oxygen sensor bung for $2.50 from Napa, then also get a small file, and file some groves into it, and use it as a thread chaser.  This is only if you can't find one.  This is an od ball size for tap and dies.  Just went through the same cause I needed to make up some custom nuts for a machine, I was able to find some large size 02 bungs that worked perfect.  Walker makes the bungs for Napa, the regular ones are the shape of a nut so you can get a wrench on them.  I was able to find some 3/4" tall smooth ones too.

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
Sorry for posting up top its just I rarly look here and was in a panic sorry chris anyways I may have found the trick mechanic in the complex let me borrow a thread file ill let yas know how she goes!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
This is an od ball size for tap and dies.    
Actually, the M18x1.5 is pretty common.  Every auto repair shop will have this tap because it is an oxygen sensor thread.  I've got two of them.
The die, not so common.

Billyisgr8

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
 This size tap and die are no where to be found in the interior from Kelowna Vernon or Kamloops.  All special order up here.   You lower mainland guys have it all at your fingertips. It should be common there.

Offline 70's Looker

• what's this for?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »
sucess!! i used the thread chaser file thing (a snapon tool) rolled it around the threads made them all sharp and clean and voila the tap screwed on! a uncommon gas tank saved! thanks for all the input anyone with this problem needs to try this a little time and slowness it all came out good!
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline Bruce

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:57:23 PM »
This size tap and die are no where to be found in the interior from Kelowna Vernon or Kamloops.  All special order up here.  
I'm telling ya Kev, every auto repair shop, every dealership has this tap.

Here's a question for all the pro mechanics on this site.  How many O2 sensor taps do you have at your shop/dealership?  Trevor?  Silas? 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:59:24 PM by Bruce »

Offline Jord63

• Jordan Woodley
  • 20years with the same car and it never gets boring
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:18 AM »
Bruce, everyones toolbox in our shop has one, I have two, one tap and one chaser. It is also the same as some spark plug threads. I didnt offer it up because the original post asked for a die, not a tap. I dont have a die in this size.

Billyisgr8

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
I was trying to buy a tap up here because of what I was doing, they are only special order.  That was before I knew it was an 02 sensor size.    Once I figured out that was for an 02 sensor  though I went straight to napa and bought some bungs which worked well for what I needed.  My freind who is a honda mechanic also has 2 in his toolbox too....but he didn't know it was 18 x 1.5 thread...he only knows its for a 02 sensor..funny how it all worked out, and how much time I would have saved if only I had said 02 sensor tap.  Yup very common when you say its for an 02 sensor and our muffler shop here has a few also....duh its all in the wording. 

Offline Bruce

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Now that you know that bit of automotive trivia, the next time you pull out one of the big frame horn bolts at the trans mount and find it's buggered, when you want to chase the threads, use the O2 sensor tap, it's the same.

Offline driverfound

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »
I learned a new trick. Thanks guys.