Author Topic: Turn key and nothing happens  (Read 3726 times)

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

Turn key and nothing happens
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
Went to walmart today, no problems getting there but when i went to leave i turned my key, oil and gen light came on and i turned it further to crank and it made a quick click sound (starter for a split second) and then the dash lights went out. I've had this problem before and I changed some corroded connections and it solved the problem. So I did that again, even tho all connections looked pretty good and I sanded down the battery posts. I got the car towed home and tinkered for quite a while but I can't get it to turn over, let alone get the dashlights to come on. the battery reads 12 volts and at the fuse bus I get about 4-5v. any ideas? I'm thinking i got some crappy connections, I ordered a new fuse housing unit hoping that this will fix the problem. should the battery be reading more voltage? like 14 or so?

Thanks

Tom

Offline Chris

• Car.
Re: Turn key and nothing happens
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »
check the connections at the starter? or for a loose starter?

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »
Battery should show 12volts until the car is running, then the generator or alternator should have the system up to 13.5-14v.

My car has been giving me similar grief. First time it was the ignition switch, second time ground cable at the battery. Third time it was the terminal 30 connector (big red wire)...guess I hadn't put the connector together right and the one side had slid out.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
Well I got it to start once and moved it into the garage. Dunno what I did to make it start I just let it sit for a while, I tried starting it with another car jumping my battery but that didn't work. The terminal 30 connector seems to read 11 volts once it has sat for a while, then when i try to start it it clicks and the dash lights go out. the terminal 30 voltage after i do this drops to 4.5 volts, it seems if I let it sit for a while the voltage slowly increases..... really weird stuff. I traced the terminal 30 wire and it goes back to the battery, It seems to read 11 volts the whole way up until it reaches the trunk area. Im so confused  :huh:

oldbugger

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
check the ground strap on the trans to mount

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
haha, well problem solved, Dave and lil bugger were right. The battery ground wasn't a good conection, i took the strap off the chassis sanded down the connections and put it back to together and it fired right up, wooohoo. Thanks guys for your help.

Tom

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16:25 PM »
Good to hear you found the problem.

What sort of shape was the ground strap in? Mine failed fairly quickly after a cleaning, the braided strap was just badly corroded along it's length. Not a bad preventative maintenance item to swap it out with new if it's looking crusty.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
My ground strap is actually a really thick gauge wire with a strap type connector on the end, the strap was in good shape, but the metal on the car was really dirty.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »
the braided strap was just badly corroded along it's length. Not a bad preventative maintenance item to swap it out with new if it's looking crusty.
All you need to do is give it a quick bead blast.  Then it'll look and work just like new.  Soak it with your favourite anti-corrosion and you're good for another couple of decades.