Author Topic: Brazing Questions  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Chris

• Car.
Brazing Questions
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
Im looking at using some metallic tubing to run wires in places on my car, I was thinking about brzing them into place. What I need to know is what type of material to use for the tubing and what type of brazing rods I will need to attach these to my car. The material needs to be soft enough that I can bend it somewhat easily to fit around the various contours of the car.

Essentially I am building conduits for wiring that is normally visible, I want to eliminate all the visible wiring I can.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:13:57 PM by VWChris »

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Brazing Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:08:34 AM »
The only thing you can braze at home is steel or copper, brass rod (flux coated) is available at any welding supply store. Get 3/32 or smaller as you don't want to make too much heat and warp up your car.

Aluminum is going to be the easiest to bend, it can be attached with JB weld and faired with bondo, no heat = no warp.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline dirtydeedss

Brazing Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 07:33:31 AM »
on all the bikes iv seen with conduit under the fender it is just tacked into place and never seems to have a problem.

Offline James Buchan

Brazing Questions
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
Go with a thin wall copper tubing, it will clean up nice with a bit of polish.

Offline Mike Scott

Brazing Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
Dont know anything about brazing, but sounds like a great idea....... Good luck!

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Brazing Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:20:34 PM »
I'm with James on this one.  The copper tubing air conditioning guys use would be \"Da Bomb\".  It comes in a coil and bends easily.  If you really wanted to go the distance with it you could then get the ferrel fittings for the end.  It would eliminate the sharp edges and give you a way to attach it to a bracket or something of the like on the ends.  As far as brazing it to the vehicle I can't help.  Sorry dude (the J B Weld trick sounds easy enough if it'll hold)

Keep in mind though that Copper is expensive and heavy when compared to Aluminum and both would buff/ polish up nicely.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 03:22:36 PM by Mowser »
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Brazing Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:07:58 PM »
is this for your race car?

if so...why bother? you're adding unwanted weight for no reason. allthough it wouldnt be much and i think that it would look kinda cool, when you're trying to cut 10ths of your et doesnt every lb count?

just my logic. ;)  

Offline Chris

• Car.
Brazing Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 08:25:11 PM »
im not worried about weight

Offline Chris

• Car.
Brazing Questions
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
well the copper and the jbweld idea was bunk

so im just going to source some material similar to that used for the hood release tube and tack it in place

Offline silas

Brazing Questions
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:54 PM »
im not worried about weight
well then, for looks i think some smaller diameter polished aluminum tubing would look good. i also think that rather than trying to permanantly attach it to the car (via brazing/welding), some well placed brackets or hold-downs would look clean.

just my $.02

Offline silas

Brazing Questions
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 07:52:53 PM »
...some well placed brackets or hold-downs would look clean.
something like this...

http://landproducts.ca/shop/product_info.p...0ba884053c8a605