Author Topic: sandblaster  (Read 1676 times)

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
sandblaster
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »
Hello all, thinking of buying a sandblaster from harbour freight or princess auto to start cleaning up my ghia. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to which ones are better?
Another problem I may have is my compressor. Its a 5hp with a 20 gallon tank. Is this too small?
Thanks in advance.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: sandblaster
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
Depends on the CFM, mine's 5 hp and makes 17 CFM @ 70 lbs, others say 5 hp but just make a shitload of noise and ~8 CFM.
I've got the Princess auto pressurized unit, it stands about 3 feet tall and holds a full bag of sand, works pretty good but makes a mess so I only use it for the big jobs. The compressor just keeps up with it but after an hour on a warm or humid day the moisture in the lines starts clogging up the mixing valve on the sand blaster, some sort of chiller to condense the fog out of the air would cure that.

Edit:, I'm pretty sure it's this one: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-gallon-pressure-abrasive-blaster/A-p8003841e
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:31:04 PM by BUSDADDY »
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline DanS

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: sandblaster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
I started out blasting much like you are considering. I purchased a freestanding blast cabinet from Grizzly here in Bellingham, which seems no different than the Harbor Freight equivalent, just more expensive.

Problem #1 - volume of air. My upright 28 gal craftsman compressor couldn't keep up, plus it was loud and obnoxious. I now have a 60 gal single stage DevAir compressor which makes a huge difference.

Prob. 2 - lighting, clarity. I almost immediately had to upgrade the lighting in the cabinet to see in it while working. On top of that, hooking up a shop vac to the exhaust port helped.

Prob. 3 - nozzle - The unit that comes with it is cheap and the passages inside clog easily. I most recently upgraded to a foot pedal and larger nozzle from Bad Boy Blasters. No trouble with clogging now, plus the foot pedal puts less stress on your trigger finger.

All I have left from my original set up is the main box. The rest was hardly work buying, except to explain to others that it's not worth it, especially if you don't have a large compressor. Yeah, if you wanted to do one small part at a time (I mean, one small part a day), then you might be OK.

On a similar note, I picked up a small, used HF pressure pot blaster for free a couple of weeks ago. Having the right amount of air and clean media, I was able to blast clean 6 stock smoothies in under and hour, front and back. If you try to reuse the media, it will clog the cheap gun and valves that came with the blaster.

In either case, having the right volume of air makes all the difference.