Author Topic: Nuts & Bolts?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
Nuts & Bolts?
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »
As I am redoing my rear suspension on my bus. I will be getting most of the components cleaned and powder coated. I am beginning to realize that I will be using cruddy/tattered looking hardware on nice shinny rear suspension components. What are my best options for refurbishing my hardware for a better cosmetic appearance and durability?

1. Hudson Plating seems to be a name that has been mentioned in previous posts
2. Buy a CAD plating kit and do it myself (such as this one http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing.html )

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Nuts & Bolts?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:19:12 PM »
no other suggestions from me, but my experience with hudson plating was positive.

when i was rebuilding the chassis on my 64 i took all the hardware there to get cad plated. i can't remember the exact cost or turnaround time, but i seem to recall both were reasonable.

a few things to consider...a few of my washers perished (because they were old & brittle and didnt survive the plating process) so examine everything first and replace anything you think is too worn/weak. you'll get it all back in a big pile that you'll have to sort so make sure you know your inventory (1st & 2nd pics). and depending on the original condition of the piece there may be a slight rough texture after the plating (3rd pic, nothing too serious, imho, unless you're building a mirrored-up concours show car).

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »
Very nice Silas?

How is the plating holding up?

Also is that considered Silver CAD or Gold CAD? They appear silver to me, but apparently silver cad has not been used for years.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:24:33 AM by 72vwtype2 »
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »
Are you sure that isn't zinc, Silas?
Cadmium is nasty stuff.  Banned as a plating in Europe due to health concerns for those assembling with it.

Offline silas

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:07 PM »
Are you sure that isn't zinc, Silas?
Cadmium is nasty stuff.  Banned as a plating in Europe due to health concerns for those assembling with it.

i'm pretty sure it's cad. but i could be wrong, it's been almost 5 years now and all i remember is asking for cad plating and getting this.  :cool:

How is the plating holding up?

Also is that considered Silver CAD or Gold CAD? They appear silver to me, but apparently silver cad has not been used for years.

Thanks.

afaiac, it's holding up well. very slight tarnish on some of the hardware in the areas where the environment is a little more extreme (see pic below, torsion bar cover bolts in wheel well, subjected to water/dirt/mud/snow/etc...and my car has seen a lot of miles and all those elements).

the appearance/finish of the hardware is silver.

my best advice to you, is to go to hudson plating in person or talk to someone on the phone and discuss your available options for your desired outcome. i'm sure they'd be more than happy to help out! let us know what you find out!  :cool:

on a somewhat related note, i was browsing their site and saw this cool old pic from the 70's with a beetle parked in front of their shop...

Offline silas

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:34:39 PM »
i was in the neighbourhood and decided to stop by and see if they could help with an old pitted chrome wheel i have...i spoke with karl (the man in charge) and we got to talking about other stuff...

cad plating is alive & well at hudson plating! also, as this neighbourhood continues to change they will be moving from their vancouver location to new west sometime, no date is set tho.

so if you're still interested, go see karl and have a chat. he's very friendly & knowledgeable and he'll be able to help you out or point you in the right direction!