Author Topic: Dune Buggy Engine?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Mordrake

Dune Buggy Engine?
« on: September 04, 2003, 04:56:32 PM »
Okies... picked up a nice dune shell and 68 floorpan with a whack o parts fer a song...

The lil gem isn't a Manx.. but a knock off done by a local guy here from Ontario back in the early 70's...  can't remember the exact name but the hood has a small oval shaped emblem spot.... she is a nice \"Sparkley\" green finish in the fiberglass.

Anyhew.. it came with a 1300 engine that was suposidly rebuild a bunch of years back and never ran (looks like whoever was tinkerin with her had no clue what was involved or needed to finish up the bare block to heads) dip stick has clean oil on her and the engine is spotless... bad thing is no plugs were put in and I think the pistons are stuck now.... will prolly pour some Diesel down the holes and try to free her up.

I was seriously thinking of getting a new engine on the go fer her and usin the 1300 on my wifes 65 Bug..   have seen a lot of different engines used on the various Dunebuggies I have seen over the years... any first hand suggestions on which way to go with it in that department?

Thanks again!

Offline Rooodie

• http://www.dglvk.com
Dune Buggy Engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 06:02:05 PM »
I guess it all depends on what you want the buggy to do. I would think a 1600 DP would be pretty sweet.  

If I didn't have so many other projects on the go I would mind getting one. :D  
DGLVK

West Coast Show Down 2004

Caution objects in my mirror appear to be you!

Offline Mordrake

Dune Buggy Engine?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 01:14:14 PM »
Well... its at the early stages so don't know if I will go with a straight street rod or a dune crawlin off roader..

In either case I want to go fairly big with it....  at least a bored over 1600.    Maybee I can find a Porsche engine to do up for it... though I have never worked with one and am not sure which one would be best to serch fer, or what kind of problems I will have shoe-horning it in ; ]