Author Topic: Jim Martin  (Read 165604 times)

Offline btljuce

Jim Martin
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2004, 09:27:04 PM »
jim,   you rule.  your car is gettin sweeter,and sweeter every week. keep up the good work,and pat yourself on the back once and a while. also you were mentioning the sound of a motor on nitrous,you should watch a 500 hp shot,on the dyno  :blink: ,nitrous IS awesome,but it's even cooler when you can see the motor react,when you jump on the button !!!!!    NASTY!!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
 56 rag oval now  2332 !!
 56 wolfsburg kombi

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Jim Martin
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2004, 08:08:04 PM »
jim,   you rule.  your car is gettin sweeter,and sweeter every week. keep up the good work,and pat yourself on the back once and a while. also you were mentioning the sound of a motor on nitrous,you should watch a 500 hp shot,on the dyno  :blink: ,nitrous IS awesome,but it's even cooler when you can see the motor react,when you jump on the button !!!!!    NASTY!!
thanks my friend a little encouragement always helps.
got my heads back from darren today as well as the cylinders rehoned.it will be a toss up this friday.motor or body?hmmm.will flip a coin friday morning.either way its all getting done.

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Jim Martin
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2004, 11:55:40 PM »
jim, you give me a call when it comes time to put the body back on the pan. i'm totally in to helping you out. it's always good times at your pad.

also, that chassis is tight. the suspension and set up is rock solid. the pictures only do it so much justice. seeing it for real blows your mind.

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
Jim Martin
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2004, 08:25:58 PM »
here is a first, a non picture update.booo/hisss .i only had a couple of hours on friday as it was my daughters sports day.all i did was finnish trimming the frt hood and reshaping the right side at the cowling . needed too take about a 1/4 off on one side too even things up .with the rubber seal in and the latch it works and fits great !!!as well  as th 'ram air' deck lid is taking shape.
TATE has finnished the body 100%% and its ready for a final wet sand and paint!
this sunday he will do all the attaching parts.
-paint colour will be m.b code #723 pewter but will swap out the extra fine metalic, for differant base metalic which is way corser.looks like paint over diamonds -very very  nice . interior is at garry shop which i now will turn out great
heads are back from darren [p.s thanks again darren] and refinnished barrels and new ring are ready too go.have too do one more day too get things ready for TATE then its motor time ,have some new tricks and data-should be fun.
i'm starting too get pumped
i may have too take a weeks holidays too reassemble it all when its painted
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 05:44:01 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Jim Martin
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2004, 08:58:59 PM »
Cant wait to see you out there :P  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Hansk

Jim Martin
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2004, 06:47:36 PM »
Dido!!!!
Big fat black fastback

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2004, 08:48:08 PM »
well after last sunday with TATE i had instruction too make sure everthing thats going on the shell is finished ,so i figured i would start at one end and finnish at the other,step one was drill out 2 broken bolts for the frt bumper mounts,then do the finnal fit of the fuel cell.
you can see the cell rest on a aluminum plate and is supported in 3 spots as well as the fuel guage area now has a spot for my autometer head temp guage.

well it sure stands out up there but it is in and is secure,  i never intended too reinstall a steel frt clip inplace of the original glass nose i had on ,i probably would have a stock modified tank up there ,but this works great with my fuel system anyways.

as per TATE'S wishes i remounted the frt fenders and hood.the left fender needed a bit of work but the right needed only light finnishing ,i figured this is a good shot for anyone running these fenders as they can see the area's that needed work as well as the hood on the middle left side.kind of has the empi inch pincher effect.

peek a boo ! looks good and everthing lines up great!great products and great body people are a must for any project.now i got too think if i want too run bullet turn signal or not ??

now you tell me ,is it a complete glass frt end? all steel frt end ? or a combo of both? can't tell? well thats the idea.looks good too me especially considering a few months back i was hacking what was left of the frt end off.end result deffentally worth replacing the frt clip . i  think i will offer a prize too anyone that can tell hom many modification are on the car as well as what's original.

TATE almost finnished the rear fenders and doors but that will be for this sunday.plan is for me on friday too finish off RAM-AIR deck lid as well as finish off making door window moldings.then will start sanding out interior and get read for seam sealer and paint.CAN'T WAIT too get some damb colour on this car.all other mechanical work is on hold in order too get the body done first.
see you on the streets soon
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:30:54 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline James Buchan

Jim Martin
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2004, 10:31:38 PM »
See you at the show this coming sunday!

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Jim Martin
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2004, 07:53:32 AM »
Man she is looking so good.... I have never seen a resto done so fast ....Great job on the updates and pics.... Looks Awesome man...
Shane

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

CHEECH

Jim Martin
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2004, 08:19:42 AM »
:o WOW I`m speechless :o

BTW  HAPPY B-DAY ;)  :D  :D  :rockon:  :rockon:  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2004, 08:23:56 PM »
well i finnished the finnal bits of things that needed prefitting onto the car before paint,headlight assembleys too fenders have taken alot of time as you would expect in the mating of 2 aftermarket parts . as well as my one piece door glass moldings'no picture' have too keep some things hiden took a fair amount of time
as well as figuring were my tubes for RAM AIR are going to link up with no motor in takes a bit of patience.from the outside you will see nothing ,great!
sorry no shot of ducting behind aluminum tilt frame

but a shot from the inner and i think you can see were the tubes will hook up too the ducts behind the licence plate and join too the carbs.hope this will allow much wanted fresh air too the carbs ,as the 4 lower holes will allow acces air out.circulation thing.

the interior is about 50% sanded ,but i have a few time restraintes in the next few weeks,so for awhile i'm sighning out but will come back to post all the progress shots once all the inners of the car are painted and it' s going back on the pan .can see light at the end of the paint tunnel,but cannot rush any steps .see you on the streets soon
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:33:58 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2004, 08:50:05 PM »
well its been awhile but alot has been going on at home/work and that means less in the garage,but i took some time off last week too get caught up somewhat.painting a car is a stinkin slow pain,there is so many steps .
but i needed too get some colour on this car in order too get the garage cleaned so i can get back too the mechanical end of things.
want too paint at your house ,easy first cover all walls with plastic and hose floor too catch any dust ,at one end -air intake add furnace filter,

add away too suck fumes out and you are set

well i wish it was that easy ,as i had alot of things creap up and made my share of mistakes.hopefully tate can fix a few later when he returns from vacation.
---well good-bye 'WOK' and helo 'LED-ZEPPLIN'
shot under the hood hope you like the colour

i snapped a few shots so you can get a idea how it looks.

engine area is done with base and 10 % hardner for ease of repare in the futre -no clear here                                                                                            
dash looks good ,TATEneeds too fix one spot so only one coat of clear on there at this time,would have too have a oops there :wacko:

took it out for a walk ,see already doing wheelies

well time too stuff it back inside , you can see how the garage was set up -
worked very well.

NOW!i can get back too the pan and get it ready for the shell,garage is cleaned so this friday i'm spinning wrenches again.time too put hardware back in and fix a few thing left on the pan i never got done.once the shell is back home i will reassemble the car too driver stage minus doors and fenders and eng and trunk lid and take it in for the outer paint,then its street time,well getting there , can't wait
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:37:42 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Chris

• Car.
Jim Martin
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2004, 09:03:13 PM »
lookin good! Cant wait to see this machine complete and running!  :rockon:  

Matt

Jim Martin
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2004, 09:04:52 PM »
Looks Good Jim!! are you spraying the whole car in your garage or taking it to a booth for the outside paint? That must have been fun painting the inside around the roll bar!!

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2004, 09:14:25 PM »
Looks Good Jim!! are you spraying the whole car in your garage or taking it to a booth for the outside paint? That must have been fun painting the inside around the roll bar!!
mat i will take the car too work for the outer paint and all the removed pieces
it would have been impossible for me too get the inner work done there at this time .so i think this will work out the best,one thing is for sure ,the paint there will really show up my job for sure.thats why i did the inners, they are kind of hidden!!
man you are right on -between cralling under the car and in behind all the tubing makes me wish i had some yoga lessons,i'm beat

Dialedinp

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Jim Martin
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2004, 06:14:29 AM »
Can't wait to come cheer you on at the track.....
Looks good man
 :rockon:  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2004, 03:02:20 PM »
hey jim. absolutely bitchin. great job man.

i cant wait to see it in person. the pictures are great but im sure in person up close its even better. the colour is a little darker than i imagined, but i think it's better that way. it's like you said, \"less bling\".

i'll head up there on the weekend to help you put it back on the pan. you just give me the word.

oh ya. wheres the calender girl? i hope you just took her down for the paint booth and put her right back up again. you know she inspires all for greatness. :lol:  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2004, 04:32:27 PM »

oh ya. wheres the calender girl? i hope you just took her down for the paint booth and put her right back up again. you know she inspires all for greatness. :lol:
this is what happened too the calander girl,
true story,hence the dash blemish.
i was in the car under the dash scopin it out when all of a sudden there is a huge crash.as i jumped up too see what happened i caught my forehead and scalp on the right glove box hindge,now with blood poring down my face i get out of the car and go over too the paint bench which was right below the fan. what happened is my cat's tried too catch a pigeon that was eating the seeds my daughter put in her garden ,the pigeon flue up and into the fan, fan fell into garage and landed on paint bench taking out my base/ clear and hardner. huge mess,this is also why i ran short of supplies.so now this week i need too gather a few more supplies and let tate finnish the dash. so not this weekend but next it should go on,that is if tate comes on sunday.
oh yes i almost forgot the calander girl ,was injured in the carnage and was know longer  nice too look at.

Dialedinp

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2004, 10:46:31 PM »
oh yes i almost forgot the calander girl ,was injured in the carnage and was know longer  nice too look at.
whoa.

as long as you and the car are ok.

alas, poor calender girl. we knew her well. r.i.p.

CHEECH

Jim Martin
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2004, 09:10:22 AM »
BTW, We also have \" Nipples\" as we like to call her up in the shop as well :wub:

The car looks great Jim, Perfect color you picked.

Shawn

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2004, 08:30:24 PM »
ah yes the replacement for the lost calander girl, thanks silas !!

Dialedinp

Offline silas

Jim Martin
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2004, 12:53:29 AM »
heehee. i was hoping someone would get a kick out of her.

a valid replacement, jim. i say we keep her. :lol:  

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2004, 09:18:41 PM »
well last week i worried for nothing as this last weekend TATE, master bodyman came too fix my painting woes.well it wasn't that bad and because of it the interior has turned out even better,what i did was use a high pressure gun with low pressure which made for a heavy coat of clear.
so what was lucky was the aplication of base under it was even so we sanded down the clear with 600/800 grit untill under the hood and interior were baby bum smooth, just like when you colour sand the exterior with 1500 grit,same idea.this left a flat surface too lay down a very thin clear layer,WOW!!!i'm pleased.
here it is all unrapped and waiting too go back on the pan.will attempt this wensday night if i can get the boys from work too help.beer and pizza works.
you can really see where the application of the base / clear and the base/hardner area's are

SO ITS OVER NO MORE BODY WORK IN THE GARAGE !!!!!
that leaves the mechanical !! so in order too ready the pan there was one spot that needed attension and i think it turned out great.my rear urethane mounts were in bad shape as well as the small colars were pulling into the trans housing .so i made a plate too sit against the trans between the mount and the trans housing ,this will keep the colars from pulling into the housing,as well as after looking at it a bit ,i thought why not make a
urathane/solid mount set up. so on the back of the plate i welded a tab that will bolt onto the rear trans carrier.

you can see the space between the tab/support and the carrier,just install the thick 1/4 inch washer add bolt and instant solid rear mount for racing.when done racing pull bolts and washers and vibration free cruising.

well lets hope it works??as you can see i love mechanical stuff.
see you on the streets soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:33:37 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline OUTKAST

Jim Martin
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2004, 07:32:28 PM »
:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o What to say things looking great .Tate sounds like a good buddy to have .Man if I lived closer I would be all over comming down to put the body on 'I'm sure man power won't be a problem though.This is a great thread I've enjoyed following the progress . And i must say the new calender girl excites me in a way Franks hot sauce never will :wub: Cant wait to see it rolling will check back.
Later Outkast

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2004, 08:29:32 PM »
This is a great thread I've enjoyed following the progress .
i'm glad you've been following along.
  hope you have enjoyed it as much as i have so far,yesturday i was showing a friend the post from begining too end ,wow, what a journey

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2004, 05:25:27 PM »
sorry will have too add pictures in later .cat has eaten patch cord,so it will now fit around one of there necks well .ha ha .
well ,shell went onto car  last wensday with some help from silas and guys from work,what a mug shot.

well back on for the first time in awhile,looking good so far,what a relief.

TATEstopped in on sunday and finnished the block sanding on the doors and gave all the loose parts the finnal prime,
turns out the paint shop is a bit slow . so tuesday morning the car and its parts arrived.
today ,friday i have been at the body shop all day helping out. if you have never understood the prep procedure it goes like this.after car has been block sanded with 220 grit it is final primed,then it get guide coat sprayed on ,and is block sanded with 400 grit,any spots that need repare are fixed now and resanded and primed again,then the whole car is again resanded wet with 800 grit.my god what a deal and a mess,then it is washed down with a special solution and masked off for paint.sanding never ends ,this is HAMEN , who is one of the prepers at the mb body shop and is doing a above excellent job on my car.i can't thank him enough for all his time.

ready for paint on tuesday.
one of the frt as well.see you tuesday.                                                      
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:43:40 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2004, 08:19:52 PM »
well i havent been this happy in a long time.    paint is on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stopped by the body shop at 3.30 today and caught BING master mb painter after he had laid on the second coat of base,this is the time where you look for any last minute flaws and fix them before more coats applied,well 2 more of base to go for a grand total of 4 base coats.looks like powder grafite to me
stopped by at 6.15 too check out the finall results.saw BING and he says it turned out great,coming from him i new it was good.what a differance some clear makes.

man oh man i'm pleased,well will tow it home tomorrow and let it mellow out in the garage a while,got too love the smell of fresh paint.

doors and fenders will follow soon. the car will sit and cure awhile so i will put my motor back together in the evenings.
what is that -oh a dim light at the tunnels end
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:44:46 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Matt

Jim Martin
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2004, 08:26:46 PM »
It's killin me! I can't see the pics......

Offline jim martin

Jim Martin
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »
It's killin me! I can't see the pics......
sorry typing error should be up now.

Dialedinp

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Jim Martin
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2004, 08:50:41 PM »
My God Jim (Sounds like a Star Trek quote)  that car looks amazing... cant wait to see the silver Bullet Blur....

What a beautiful job....!!!
 Congrats bud!! Man that is sweet , Cant wait to see it all together .. 10 days till GCVW.. You can do it!!!
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph