Author Topic: T2 Trans Problem  (Read 1298 times)

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
T2 Trans Problem
« on: February 14, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »
I just bought (another) 65 bus. One of the  reasons it was going cheap was that it has a strange trans problem that I can't figure out. It starts just fine and runs in neutral with no strange noises or anything. When i shift it  in to gear and start releasing the clutch it makes a terrible grinding noise, like a gear not fully engaged or something. I tried it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears with the same result, except that the higher the gear, the faster the grinding noise, so I'm thinking it has to be on the output end of things. Broken spider gears maybe??!! Ideas? Thanks.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
T2 Trans Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:40:59 PM »
Not a DVKK member but heres my 2c, Jack up a wheel (engine off) and give it a spin, noises? In gear? out of gear? both wheels jacked up?  what happens if a buddy works the other wheel (forwards/backwards) while you try to turn yours? You need more information to make a diagnosis. Could be diff issues or a reduction box.
Good luck.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Hansk

T2 Trans Problem
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:42:20 PM »
Could be spiders, but don't forget to look at the drums first for stripped splines.
Big fat black fastback

Offline 68IIIbuggy

• http://
T2 Trans Problem
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:19:18 PM »
Yes, I should have checked both things and didn't, as the bus was (and still is) sitting in the PO's driveway, and I was too excited about the rest of the van to think clearly. One more thing I remember is that the shifter didn't jump around when I let out the clutch, so I it reinforces my belief that the actual gearbox is probably OK and the problem is in the diff. or RGB.  

Offline Cameron

T2 Trans Problem
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 08:44:08 AM »
I tried it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears with the same result, except that the higher the gear, the faster the grinding noise, so I'm thinking it has to be on the output end of things.
You never said if this was a driving test, or wheels off the ground.  I have had a trasmission do the same thing, and it turned out to be one of the bearings on the pinion shaft had failed. Either way, grinding noises are not good, and you will probably have to pull the trans, and rebuild it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 12:25:45 PM by Cameron »

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!