Author Topic: Off Road Home Brew Type 2 11" Disc's  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

Off Road Home Brew Type 2 11" Disc's
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:49:58 PM »
Got most of the goods for my baja rear disc brakes built!
since my trailing arms use type 2 stubs i was kinda screwed when it came to good brakes..

so a local machine shop cut down some vanagon rear 5x112 drum brake hubs so they would fit inside some brembo 11" 73+ vanagon front rotors (thanks airspeed) wich Bruce T crossdrilled for me (thanks!) shaved over half a pound a rotor!!

those adaptors came from airspeed as well...some company in hot VWs sells them.. heavy but strong.
those 14mm studs..came from airspeed also.. me and shawn installed them in the hubs..but had to use the machine shop to get them into the adaptors.

gonna order some billet 4 pistion calipers..and need to machine a spacer to fit between the rotor and the hub so i get some room between the rotor and the trailing arm..but should stop great!
sorry about the huge pics :o

Offline Darren Dilley

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09:58 PM »
sweet... i dig big brakes...
life without racing..is no life at all

Offline epic3

• http://
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 05:10:11 PM »
Thats a slick setup :rockon:  but how do you mount the calipers now?

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 01:36:38 AM »
im going to be mounting a pair of outlaw 2000 4 pistion calipers to custom mounts on the rear tubular off road IRS arms...i think the caliper should mount near vertical on the rear side of the rotor..it should all fit..

if not..im not sure how im gonna mount them. but i will find a way...and if i dont im sure UPM1 or Bugsmell will figure it out..

but really its a pretty easy thing to do...lots of room for caliper..

this car should stop better than any car i have owned!

took the car to UPM1's shop today (thanks for the pick up Chris) so lots of things will be getting done over the next while..i will be sure to take some pics of things as they go...brakes included.

Cale