Author Topic: Replacement Metal  (Read 1917 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Replacement Metal
« on: May 12, 2004, 01:15:59 AM »
follow this link to my question and pics. i'm a little apprehensive about using this peice of metal, but trying to find or fabricate another peice like this would be a b!#ch. am i being paranoid? is it ok to use? any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71913

Matt

Replacement Metal
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 07:53:24 AM »
Thae wire wheel doesn't get rid of all the rust. You may find as you weld the impurities(sp?) will cause bad welds.If you get it in there is no saying this piece won't rot again.
I can't recognize that piece, where does it go? I agree fabing that may be a bit of a pain in the ass, but not impossible. I would try getting it blasted before you make any final decisions, you may find a sea of pinholes rendering it useless.
just my $0.02

Matt

Offline silas

Replacement Metal
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 10:17:40 AM »
thanks matt. i was thinking that blasting it would show even more of the impurities. and the last thing i want to do is put in a peice that will just rot out again right away.

the peice is the drivers lower rear quarter where the inner wheel well meets the crosmember and heater channel! :huh: kind hard to explain, but you can see that there are some interesting angles and curves in that peice.

thanks for your input.

Offline James Buchan

Replacement Metal
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 11:36:08 AM »
I'll blast it for you Silas

Offline silas

Replacement Metal
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 03:34:46 PM »
I'll blast it for you Silas
thanks james, that is very kind of you.

however, i'm stuck in the hole (vancouver) and dont make it out to sunny cloverdale too often. if i cant find a place that is more local to me, i'll definately take you up on your offer.

i may decide to hunt for a replacement peice in better shape or even try to make one myself.

thanks again ;)  

Offline James Buchan

Replacement Metal
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 04:48:46 PM »
I would be doing the blasting in North Van if that is local enough for you, blaster is at my work.

needs to be this week as I am on holidays for the next month.

Offline kirin

Replacement Metal
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »
Hey Silas.
I travel in and out of Vancouver everyday(Week day that is)
If your towards south van or Van dusen we should hook up and I can drop it off at James' his house is just 15 minutes away from where I work on my car.
-Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Matt

Replacement Metal
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 05:55:06 PM »
I would be doing the blasting in North Van if that is local enough for you, blaster is at my work.

needs to be this week as I am on holidays for the next month.
Holidays for a MONTH!?!?!? lucky bastard....

I like the idea of fabing one, all said and done you would be proud of it, maybe to proud to weld it in though....

Offline silas

Replacement Metal
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 10:58:30 AM »
hey kirin & james, thanks guys. thats pretty cool of y'all.

i've got to work all day today and will be away from the 'puter, but i'll try and pm you two tonight.