Author Topic: Checking in! New member  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Hybridcx

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Checking in! New member
« on: June 08, 2017, 07:24:44 AM »
A friend put me onto this forum. 

Names Matt, just picked up a 65 bug.  I actually traded my motorcycle for it, as I was starting to ride less and less with my boy growing.  I was looking for a decent family cruiser/running project so let my introduce Roland!

I am kind of learning as I go as this is my first VW.  Just figured out that the drivers door is incorrect for the year so I am on the hunt for a replacement.  Also its looking like I may tackle the heater channels this winter.  The pans were done already but there is some body rust that does need attention.

Looking forward to improving this thing and coming out to some meets if there are ever any around the lower mainland.

-Matt

Offline Jeremy59

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Checking in! New member
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
Welcome Matt. Nice looking ride.

Offline 553fold

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »
Nice bug Matt! Sweet centerlines! Lots of really informative people on this forum that have been into vw's for years,  so dont be afraid to ask lots of questions!

Offline Hybridcx

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm sure I will have a lot of questions.  Have already started a few upgrades/fixes, I wont be tackling the big stuff until this winter.

I'd really love to talk to someone who really knows the 65 year bug.  I have figured out that my drivers door is wrong for the year and I am suspicious about my tail lights.  Would like to find out if I have the correct deck lid and hood for the year.

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »
Welcome, glad you've got Roland rollin'!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 11:56:14 PM »
hey matt! welcome to the asf and congrats on your new ride, it looks like a sweet family cruiser for sure!

as its been said, lots of good & knowledgeable people here, also good to reference thesamba.com for literature & pics of 65's. plus keep your eyes on the events & gatherings forum here for all local events. the great canadian vw show in august is the biggest & best lower mainland event, but there is lots of other cool stuff going on too (victoria volksfest, seattle vintage meet, cruises, hang outs...)!

http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?board=8.0

Offline beetleboy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
welcome.  WoW this car takes me back.  I knew this car when it lived in Victoria. I agree a few repairs needed but if i recall correctly the engine and trans are nice and strong. 

Offline Hybridcx

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »
Thanks again for the warm welcome.  I had a chance to meet a few guys from Three seven teen shop during fathers day in the park.  I will for sure watch out for the august VW show!

Beetleboy - Did you know the owner from Victoria?  The engine and trans seem to be in good working order.  Just did the clutch (again) as it had the wrong throw out bearing installed and was causing some issues. Ive located some proper doors for it and will hopefully be going down south to pick them up.

Matt