Author Topic: Paint and body shop  (Read 3896 times)

Offline s3racing

• http://www.walti-sanitaer.ch
Paint and body shop
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:59:07 PM »
I'm hoping to get the ok to do the body work and paint for my beetle.
Still looking for a good shop to get it done by. All Metal work will be already done and car will be bare metal/ sand blasted. Ready for thin touch up with Filler and off for prime and paint.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a paint and body shop??

And you I'm sure there are a few guys out there who recently had there cars done. And idea on (ballpark) price for such work?? I've budgetet 3500.00 is that high or low? (Filler, prime, base, clear)

Thanks for any pointers

René

P.S. Ideally close to Geoff's Shop - Canada Custom and Hot Rods
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:43:07 AM by s3racing »

Offline beetlemandan

Re: Paint and body shop
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 01:53:38 PM »
3500 bucks would be extremely low. how good do you want it to look, and how long do you want it to last? what colour? beetles have a suprising amount of surface area. my 88 caprice took less paint than beetle!

good paint isn't cheap, and cheap paint isn't good.

when I did a complete on my beetle in '07, it was 500 bucks in materials (sandpaper, filler, masking, primer and paint, oddball stuff) and that was for a rat-rod flat black job that I did myself! and on the cheap too!
the customer is always wrong

Offline s3racing

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »
Only want to do this once:-)

It's like this I'd rather wait and just get it into primer than have a cheep paint job and not be happy with it. Quality is the main point not quantity.

The Colour I'm looking at is a Dark green with some pearl in it or metallic. Base clear with a few extra costs of clear so it lasts!!

When I lived in Canada I worked at a Ford dealer with a body shop. So I had / have contacts but they are all back in W.L. And I'm not having it towed to W.L. From Van for paint :-)

Offline 604peter

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
*bump
Im also interested in good paint shops near Geoff's shop, or in Vancouver/Burnaby.  Anyone???

Offline s3racing

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:35:26 PM »
Don Atkinson is who is painting my car! But he's on the island now and doing the work in his garage with the paint sprayed in a professional booth. With Don I think the big ? Is how fast do you need it done, as your not paying a shop to work on it all week long until it gets done. Rather he will work on my car as he has time etc. With that considered he does do  fast quality work.  And how many projects he already has lined up. But might be worth asking him. A great guy to deal with and fair!

But what is for sure is you get more than your money's worth and a real quality paint job. My bug is going to Don a soon as my engine has arrived and has been test fitted in the car. Mid Feb hopefully
Cheers René
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:00:46 AM by s3racing »

Offline alikhan69

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »
I used a guy names Norm from Craftmans collision. He only did the outside and just a little on the inside only where it would show. I paid $3500.00 for it but then again my body was not in a too bad shape. Let him know Ali told you and he might do soke extra work for you. He can be reached at 778-808-1159.

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
I used a guy names Norm from Craftmans collision. He only did the outside and just a little on the inside only where it would show. I paid $3500.00 for it but then again my body was not in a too bad shape. Let him know Ali told you and he might do soke extra work for you. He can be reached at 778-808-1159.

Was this norm in Langley?
Zündfolge Car Club