Author Topic: Painting wheels  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Chris W

• Portland Oregon
Painting wheels
« on: September 22, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
I have a set of Gas Burners and one 912 steel wheel I would like to repaint. When I got the wheels they were rattle caned which looks ok from 10ft, but not great up close. I want to repaint them my self and am wondering if I should just pick up a Harbor Freight detail paint gun to do them? I am also was wondering if I should use single stage or 2 stage ect? 

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
Re: Painting wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »
The harbor freight (or princess auto) detail guns work best with paint that is a little thicker. Perfectly fine for primer, requires a bit of practice to shoot paint with them. I'd consider them fine for doing a set of wheels.

I'd personally shoot single stage, but only because getting the clear even in all the nooks and crannies would be a challenge.

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline Chris W

• Portland Oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
This is how they looked after I touched them up and painted the caps. Not bad, but it was not a even coat of paint and the corners were not that great.

After looking at the Harbor Freight site there are lots of guns to choose. I know even the best stuff from them still has the "Harbor Freight" factor, so what gun should I get.

Something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46719

Offline dale-j

• Steve
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:14:25 AM »
I've shot wheels with good results before using both PPG (Catalyzed DP50) and Endura EP-Hi primers.  For the primers a standard syphon gun is fine, the EP-Hi is a high build epoxy (couldn't tell that from the name, huh?) that's better if you're looking to fill and sand, the DP50 is great to shoot and top coat.  On Aluminum rims a pre-treatment/cleaner like Alodine will prevent chipping off better.

For the top coat, Endura single stage catalyzed urethane is some serious tuff stuff.  It's also some serious noxious stuff so invest in a good respirator and don't get it on your skin - wear coveralls and gloves.  It performs very well on wheels, inner fender wells, floor pans etc, and shoots very well from one of those little HVLP door jamb guns with the fine tip, like the ones at Harbour freight or KMS.   It does not clear coat well (not designed to) but on wheels and inners it looks good enough to not matter.
0-60 in...umm...can I call you back?

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »
meh they are just the cheap heavy repops anyways just use a brush and some left over house paint dont matter what colour  lol_hitting

my advise is always wanted and heavily regarded as perfection-- incase you didnt know
Zündfolge Car Club