Author Topic: rust protection in heater channels?  (Read 2618 times)

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
rust protection in heater channels?
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:07:02 PM »
Before I put the interior and glass back in the car, can anyone recommend a good rust protector to try and pour in the channels? I could probably rotisery the car if needed. Anyone used something they liked... lots of products out there.
thanks
Brian waz
brian waz

Offline vwguy

Re: rust protection in heater channels?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:50:21 AM »
Hey Brian, I use a stuff called Wax oil, its made by Proform. You can get it from Lordco and it comes in Gallon cans for bulk spray or in spray can size. this stuff works great, it creeps into all the cracks and seams.

Good luck and wear a respirator when you use it.

Regards  Jim

Offline 52 split

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 08:55:49 AM »
well what i was going to do was drill a small hole at the rear wheel well end and with a long wand spray por15, then weld opening back up. anyone think this is okay to do.?i think this should work great.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:49:39 AM »
I want to figure out exactly what Josh did to achieve this:

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 12:13:45 PM »
I want to figure out exactly what Josh did to achieve this:

why dont you just ask him? :)

Offline josh

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
yeah why don't ya ;D

those are the OE 54 channels I sold my left nut for..............were acid dipped, some minor rust repairs done then before welded into car and the rear cross member blocked the end I thinned some por15 and poured in, rotated/rocked and shook to get all coated. that por stuff really flowed well cut a bit with thinner and was surprised how well it worked but made a ridiculous mess leaking out everywhere.
Although to get this kind of coverage with the channels already in the car even on a rotisserie would be tough and I wouldn't even think of it on an already painted car!!!!!

I considered the waxoil, people rave about it on the net it would be my choice if your car is painted. Something about putting something made from wax and oil on a bare metal project screamed fisheyes and paint prep horror down the road for me!!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline surgerypending

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »
Wax oil is definately the best! However, I wouldn't drill
a hole in the outside back of the heater Chanel.....if that what your going to do. I'd drill a couple holes from the interior side of the channel and get some good rubber plugs. Don't weld it back up...you might want to do it again in the future plus the the welded are is prone to rusting from the inside.
My 2 cents
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
I was afraid of that Josh.  Looks like your method is out for me.

I'd drill a couple holes from the interior side of the channel and get some good rubber plugs.
I did something like this with my car when I addressed the rockers around 20 years ago.  I took one of those red straws that comes with your can of brake-clean and carefully cut slits in the side near the end.  Then I closed up that end.  When sprayed, the product would squirt out perpendicular to the straw.  Then I put this in a spray can of paint.  I inserted it through all the stock holes.  4 for the running board, and all the holes for the pan.  I rotated it and slid it in and out.  The only problem with this is you have no idea what the coverage is like.  Good thing is, you only need a 2mm hole.