Author Topic: Bay front seats upgrade question: PT Cruiser?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline LateBaySteve

• "Back in the Red Dog Saloon days, there was a sympathetic super mechanic named Muldoon"
Bay front seats upgrade question: PT Cruiser?
« on: March 13, 2014, 01:03:19 AM »
Geez, I can barely even bring myself to say "PT Cruiser", but i keep hearing they make good seats for a bay.
Anyone have experience with this? I've seen it mentioned on the samba in a couple of threads, but not much as much as I'd like for pictures or instructions.
One good thing about them is the variety of choice. Leather or non, heated or non, power or manual, some funky colours (orange!) etc. They have 4 point parallel tracks, and are said to be low bottomed enough (especially manual). Not direct bolt-in but not much work.
Any other modern seat ideas beside vanagon? Did I also hear Caravan?
My wife would like heated seats, and I don't even have VW seats to begin with so no concern about messing with stock.  I have a '77-79 without bulkheads and stock tracks (thinking swivel on that one) a '77-79 with bulkheads and no tracks, and a '73 with bulkheads that may or may not have stock tracks under Subaru seats. All driver campers, if that matters.
Any ideas? Thanks.
'58 Dove Blue Bus (awaiting papers)
'71 parts Bus
'72 tin top Bus (soon for sale)
'74 tin top Bus rust bucket
'75 Westfalia (awaiting papers)
'77 project Bus
'77 parts Bus
'78 Westfalia (awaiting papers)

Offline pittwagen

Re: Bay front seats upgrade question: PT Cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 08:25:42 AM »
As you know I have the Vanagon GL seats in my 79.  They are just so much better than the stock seats.  I did consider the PT Cruiser seats.

Here is a good link for you to digest if you have not seen it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218394&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Offline DarrenE

Re: Bay front seats upgrade question: PT Cruiser?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:11:07 PM »
The PO of my '71 Deluxe put in Mazda MPV seats. They look good, are comfy, and fit great.  The old rails are still there too, if I want to back to stock.
Kootenay Volkswagen Society