Author Topic: Rear bumpers....split ones on a bay??  (Read 2019 times)

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Rear bumpers....split ones on a bay??
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
I heard through the grapevine that a split bus rear bumper would fit my 68 DC.....this true?
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Rear bumpers....split ones on a bay??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
.....this true?
With a bit of work yes, you'll have to remove the brackets welded into it and drill new holes for the bay brackets and of course weld up all the bonus holes.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline slammedbus

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
Muuuuaaaaahahahahahahahaha! Thanks BUSDADDY!!!

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline 58binz

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:50:42 PM »
I have a split bumper on my 68 double cab, as Mark knows, but it was too narrow and needed to be cut and a piece added in the middle.  Would I do it again?  Probably not but 15 years ago, I thought it was a good idea...

Ross

Offline slammedbus

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »
crap....

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
crap....
Don't freak out yet J, I just measured an unmolested OG one of each and the difference was less than 1/4" and that could be due to the curve, I think Ross' truck has some extra wide butt issues from a previous PO corner weldup or odd bumper brackets, the worst you'd have to do is open up the curve on top in the corners a bit.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline slammedbus

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
crap....
Don't freak out yet J, I just measured an unmolested OG one of each and the difference was less than 1/4" and that could be due to the curve, I think Ross' truck has some extra wide butt issues from a previous PO corner weldup or odd bumper brackets, the worst you'd have to do is open up the curve on top in the corners a bit.

Thanks man. I'm gonna head to the shop today to check it out again. Hope its not a huge job.