Author Topic: Distributor issue  (Read 1382 times)

Offline McBaja

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Distributor issue
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:44:23 PM »
Hey all,

Ok here is my set up quickly,
Baja bug
83 1/2 1.9L watterboxer
Webber 32/36 carburetor
009 distributor

So I bought this bug and it was already converted to the vanagon motor, I've since been working out the bugs and trying to get it running as smooth as possible. I'm getting really close. I put a new carb on it and played with the jetting until I got or running really smooth on the first half of the accelerator. However when you mat it, it has no acceleration and pops at the exhaust. So I'm thinking the carb needs a bigger accelerator pump jet or it may be down to timing and may not be advancing under high load, as I have the same issue on hills.  I'm willing to change the distributor out as this one sat for a long while before I saved it, I just need to know what distributor to put on it.  I know the 83 1/2 1.9L came with the 025-905-205D distributor, but I'm curious if the Beetle SVDA distributor would work as well. As I listed it has a 009 on it right now, I'm hoping to put a vacuum advance on it to help advance under load. Any help or advice would be great!

Offline Cameron

Re: Distributor issue
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »
The Bosch 009 distributor will advance when you rev up the motor. Put a timing light on and rev it up. If your timing does not change, your 009 distributor is stuck or seized.
There is a small felt pad under the rotor. Put a drop of oil on it, to lubricate the movement between the two shafts.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!