Author Topic: seized engine (maybe) options?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline DanS

• AirSpeed Forum Member
seized engine (maybe) options?
« on: January 22, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »
So I brought home an all-original 66 ghia last week that's been sitting for nearly 20 years (last registered in 1995). The seller was the second owner and CLAIMS the car has just 77k miles on it and ran when he parked it. It's been indoors this whole time. My objective is to preserve as much of the original car as possible, including the 1300cc engine, but the motor is locked up tight. I pulled the spark plugs and sprayed Free-All down the holes nearly a week ago. Still won't budge. I put a mark on the crank pulley to see if it ever moves. I tried putting it in gear and rocking it back and forth today and it looks like the crank tries to turn slightly under pressure, but goes back to where it was.

I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience with this and options I may have before I drop the engine and start tearing into it.

Offline Cameron

Re: seized engine (maybe) options?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
Drain the oil, and see what comes out. Any shiny metal bits, etc.

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
My single can engine was the same after it had sat for 12years in the same conditions.  Your more than likely to have to pull the engine and get new Pistons and cans.  One cylinder was so bad on mine to get off I beat it with a hammer.  (Rings were seized really bad to the cans with tons of rust)

Replaced that, and put new seals and gaskets (all 4 $300). Then "BAM" fired up like a champ. 

Before and after
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

Offline DanS

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:01:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

1. I was able to feel (and hear) the end play by pushing and pulling on the crank pulley. That tells me the problem is most likely in the top end, much like Richard described. I hear 1300 p's & c's are hard to find.

2. I've heard that diesel in the cylinders can sometimes break things loose. I might try that next.

3 I can definitely see draining the oil to check it out, though the from the dip stick it looks almost fresh. Of course any metal in there would most certainly be in the bottom by now.

I'm not giving up yet. This thing is worth saving!

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »
If you change your Pistons and cylinders just get 1500cc size ones. Your heads will still work fine.  Rob at Avr can help with that

Things will work out fine.  So no good luck needed
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

TaigaBus

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »
Diesel worked great for me. Three days of soaking, pulled it up a hill. Rolled it down, popped the clutch, and bam, diesel everyehere, lol. Something was bound to give.

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:14 AM »
Great year Ghia. How's the rest of it?
Let me know if you need any specific advice.
Jason Hamilton