Author Topic: About to swap engines - Hit a speedbump  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Vancity

• AirSpeed Forum Member
About to swap engines - Hit a speedbump
« on: June 03, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »
Working on my brothers 67 single cab pickup and in need of a little help. I haven't touched a VW in yearrrrs, pardon my lack of research ability right now.

I noticed the STICKY above, though it seems very useful just not sure if it answers my question

First of all some photos of the engine serials

The engine that came out...

The engine going in...

AS  Sometimes seen listed as Super Beetle case for 1973-onward

Are these 2 motors compatible for the most part? I tried putting the base of the fuel pump (the plastic part with a flange and funnel shape) from the old engine and putting it in the new one and it was REALLLY tight. Tried pulling it back out and snapped it off. If the fuel base itself isn't the same size, what about the pushrod...OR i just messed up and it should have fit??
I'm going to need a new fuel pump base for the second photo, if anyone can help me source one that would be grrreat

Rough start :(

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: About to swap engines - Hit a speedbump
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
Welcome,
Those aren't serial numbers, just part numbers for the case halves. The numbers that matter are stamped in at the base of the generator stand but even then they only say what it was when new and don't take into account rebuilds or upgrades.
Yes the fuel pump block should interchange, was it OG or an aftermarket replacement?, some repro's don't fit well at all. The pushrod depends on the style of pump you have, any pics of that?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Vancity

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and pointing me in the direction of actual serial numbers :)
Rougher start than i thought then...
The fuel pump base is out of the AE block going into the AK block, i pulled it from one and tried going right into the other, as mentioned reallly tight... Now i have bits of broken plastic inside was trying to vacuum all the bits out but have yet to get them all

Engine taken out

Engine going in

Fuel pump

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
That sucks about the broken off stuff, sometimes they get a buildup of shellac and engine deposits that makes them fit tight, sand the next one a little if it feels like it's binding. That looks like an alternator style pump so it should use the shorter pushrod (4" and not 4.25" I think), compare the rods and pick the shortest one. AK began life as a 73 Beetle engine but who knows what's inside now?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline Vancity

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
All sorted now. Finished swapping the parts today, added some new pieces here and there. Getting the broken plastic bits out was a PITA but she fired up! Thanks!