Author Topic: timing headache( Thanks for the help) i am up and running!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2148 times)

Offline lildunebuggy

i have a sand rail i have been working on for the last couple years the engine is a 75 convert to carb 1600dp  ran well over past 4 years i had it and now i have had to change the carb and coil and distributer. plugs . and had it running well last year. this winter had couple rips but has seams to get a pop and cough now and timing seems out. other then timing what else could the problem be. going to change the fuel today and see. it has been sitting for a bit. and i have a timing light now. have just been test light timing. i was wondering about valves? what part do they play in the whole? if you know any in the area of kamloops that can help me out and is willing to help out let me know. talked to couple of guys that were burnt out from there years of sand rails and duners that just say get the timing right and settings just right. i was hoping i could see what i maybe missing. it is a 75 type 3? was FI convert to carb. had a j4 type distributer before had changed it to a 009 and now have a j4 convert to electonic.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:53:21 PM by lildunebuggy »

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: timing headache (Pic is the same style of engine i have )
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
Sounds like a jet issue in the carb.  Sounds like too much fuel. 
70 tintop kombi.  "Never 4 Sale!!!!"

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
hey so where do i start with that? i have noticed a air sound too in the carb as well. but cant find a leak?

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
started good was a little out with timing light. now i have BTDC and 2 ATDC setting bit lost on them. was running good started fast and strong. now i set the big plug and have turned it in to a stop Not hard but stoped. and 2 turns on small and 10 on big was way out made a lot of noise but started still. air sound. turned tell i hear it get softer but stalls now. and hard to start? the timing was out again a little?

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
hey i want to thank you. every time i ask some one they say the timing is just off i have payed guys to fix not alot but could have been worse. this has been a big help i have a 34pict3 carb and you say i need a 60 to try going to look now. at this point drain oil again for the 3 time and see what the time line is on delivery. and do you know what reg i need or if any will work? Thanks again i will get back to you on the running Richard Kuczko

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »
cant get any parts up here the back woods will have to order some is going to be a while starting to get a little crazy up here past 2 days we got over a foot of snow and i want to rip in it on the buggy

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
Avr (604) 852-9024 has one that works.  Give rob a call and they can greyhound it for you.  Takes only a day or two. 

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
Ohh and the .60 is a bigger idle jet.  Just ask for a set he will know what you mean.  They help me all the time so don't be afraid to ask questions.  I live in a boony town to.   Kinda

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 05:59:42 PM »
i will try him tomorow i have a holley fuel regulator now i have not used one before and i was hoping to find a way to set up. now i have 5/16 lines that work. but i have a tank goes to fuel filter and the from there to shut off and there to pump to carb. do i put this on the pump to carb?

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Yes in bettween pump and carb

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:31 PM »
man i was just waiting for the new oil to get droped off and was checking plugs. this is where i am at will not get spark. so i was checking plugs and started with 4 3 2 all black but dry. and one is soaked like i mean thought i had a bit of a oil leak on that from draining it the other day. but is coming from some where where the engine meets the heads and alot now. oil and gas leaking will take some pics if you can email me i will have them tonight. eflow61_2@hotmail.com

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
#1 side leak

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »
Check ur email and give me a call

Offline lildunebuggy

Re: timing headache( Thanks for the help) i am up and running!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
it was a combo of stuff i had a bad coil as well. low spark. carb was new but a leaking mess i fixed with a frankinstien one out of 3 carbs. as i did all that i fixed wires and fuel lines the flooding was fixed with a holley reg and gauge. the valves were out but not to bad mostly on one. oil change again and i am running. now to take chains off and hit some mud. thanks again rich putting up with my questions and calls

Offline Richard Kuczko

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: timing headache( Thanks for the help) i am up and running!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »
That's great.  Glad I could help.  We've all been there